Latest Legal News
Below are the latest corporate legal accountability news items.
Related stories and components
From plunder to prosperity: How legal accountability can help manage natural resource wealth in Africa
Author: Aliou Diouf, Francophone Africa Researcher, Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
At its fifth annual Mary Robinson Speaker Series Event on 31 October in New York, Business & Human Rights Resource Centre gathered a panel to address the issue of “Managing Congo’s natural resource wealth – from plunder to shared prosperity?”.....
- Related stories: Managing Congo's Natural Resource Wealth: NYC, 31 Oct 2014
- Related in-depth areas: Blogs & commentaries Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Anvil Mining (part of China Minmetals) China Minmetals Delta Protection Freeport-McMoRan Gécamines George Forrest Herakles Capital Herakles Farms (part of Herakles Capital) Lundin Mining Motorola Solutions SOCO International Tenke Fungurume (joint venture Freeport-McMoRan, Lundin, Gécamines)
In November 2014, three Eritreans filed a lawsuit against Nevsun Resources in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. They allege the company was complicit in the use of forced labour by Nevsun’s local sub-contractor, Segen Construction (owned by...
Standard behind US Court dismissal of Alien Tort case against Occidental & AirScan “sufficiently vague for corporations to hide behind”, says journalist
Author: Siddhartha Mahanta, Foreign Policy (USA)
"Suing companies for atrocities has never been harder. Thanks, Supreme Court!", 18 Nov 2014 [Subscription required]...
- Related stories: Cisco Systems lawsuits (re China) Occidental lawsuit (re Colombia) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) US court dismisses Alien Tort case against Occidental & AirScan over alleged complicity in Colombian bombing Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: AirScan Chevron Cisco Systems ExxonMobil Occidental Petroleum Shell Unocal (part of Chevron)
Author: International Organisation of Employers & Employer's Federation of Western Switzerland
"IOE and Employer's Federation of Western Switzerland (FER) host high-level conference on Business & Human Rights in Geneva", 20 Nov 2014...
[video] Veterans file class action lawsuit in USA against KBR over lung disease allegedly caused through service in Afghanistan & Iraq
Author: PBS Newshour
"Veterans claim contractor in charge of burn pits is responsible for lung illnesses", 17 Nov 2014...
Author: Centre canadien pour la justice internationale (CCJI)
Trois hommes d'origine érythréenne ont intenté aujourd'hui devant un tribunal à Vancouver une poursuite au civil contre Nevsun Resources...dénonçant la main d'œuvre servile à laquelle la compagnie minière avait recours pour la construction de la mine...
- Related stories: Des Erythréens intentent un procès contre Nevsun au Canada pour des allégations de travail forcé dans la mine de Bisha en Erythrée Eritrean refugees file claim in Canada against Nevsun over allegations of forced labour at Bisha mine, Eritrea Nevsun lawsuit (re Bisha mine, Eritrea) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Dernières infos juridiques
- Related companies: Chevron Tahoe Resources
"Eternit billionaire's asbestos jail term overturned", 20 Nov...
US Supreme Court decision in Daimler endorses large companies' impunity & leaves victims without remedy, says Prof. Zamora Cabot
Author: Professor F. J. Zamora Cabot, Univ. Jaume I de Castellón (Spain)
"Decision of the Supreme Court of the United States in the Daimler AG V. Bauman et al case: closing the golden door", Nov 2014...