Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in South Africa
Author: Damian Carrington, Guardian (UK)
The 100 global power companies most at risk from growing pressure to shut highly polluting coal plants have been revealed in a new report from Oxford University....
- Related in-depth areas: Climate justice
- Related companies: AES Ameren American Electric Power China Guodian China Huadian China Power Investment China Resources Enterprises China Shenhua Energy (part of Shenhua Group) Datang International Power Generation Duke Energy E.ON Edison International Eskom Huaneng Power International NRG Energy NTPC RWE Southern Company State Grid Corporation of China Vattenfall
Dem. Rep. of Congo: NGOs raise concerns over potential negative impacts on local communities of "Inga III", the world’s biggest hydropower project
Author: Daniel Wesangula, The Guardian
"From Cape Town to Kinshasa: could the Great Inga dam power half of Africa?", 19 september 2014...
- Related companies: Eskom
[PDF] Between activism and science: grassroots concepts for sustainability coined by Environmental Justice Organizations
Author: Joan Martinez-Alier (Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona) & others, Journal of Political Ecology
[Résumé aussi en Français / Resumen también en español] EJOs (environmental justice organizations) and their networks have introduced several concepts to political ecology that have also been taken up by academics and policy makers. In this paper, we...
- Related stories: BP lawsuit (re Alaska) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Shell lawsuit (re oil pollution in Nigeria) Shell’s declarations over Nigerian oil spills caused by sabotage are untrue, says Amnesty Intl.; company denies allegations Texaco/Chevron lawsuits (re Ecuador) Show moreShow less
- Related companies: Abengoa Bechtel BP Chevron Dole Edison (Italy) Eskom Keystone RV (part of Thor Industries) Shell Texaco (part of Chevron) Thor Industries Umicore
10 companies with "worst corporate social responsibility records" nominated for 2014 Public Eye Awards
Author: Compiled by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
[Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited the nominated companies to respond. Responses & non-responses provided]. The annual "Public Eye Awards", cordinated by Greenpeace Switzerland & Berne Declaration, are for companies with the...
- Related stories: Gap et Gazprom désignées les entreprises les plus irresponsables par Greenpeace et la Déclaration de Berne
- Related in-depth areas: Public Eye Awards 2014
- Related companies: BASF Bayer Eskom FIFA Gap Gazprom Glencore Xstrata HSBC Marine Harvest Sime Darby Syngenta Wilmar International
[PDF] Quality Kilowatts? A Normative-Empirical Analysis of Corporate Responsibility for Sustainable Electricity Provision in the Global South
Author: Joseph Wilde-Ramsing, University of Twente (Netherlands), Centre for Research on Multinational Corporations (SOMO)
[Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited AES, Datang, Endesa, Eskom, SN Power to respond. Endesa responses provided. AES and SN Power did not respond. We will indicate here whether Datang and Eskom respond]. There has been an increase...
Author: Yankho Msukwa, Nyasa Times [Malawi]
[A] machine operator at Suncrest Creameries...died suddenly...after being electrocuted by Eskom power line at company premises, police have said. The deceased...was found lying at the backyard of the dairy company near the brick fence...[B]eside him,...
- Related companies: Eskom
[PDF] The CDM in Africa Cannot Deliver the Money - Why the carbon trading gamble and ‘Clean Development Mechanism’ won’t save the planet from climate change, and how African civil society is resisting
Author: University of KwaZulu Natal Centre for Civil Society (So. Africa) & Dartmouth College Climate Justice Research Project (USA)
[Responses by Sasol, Green Resources, Salini Costruttori, ENI below. Business and Human Rights Resource Centre also invited ConocoPhillips, NNPC, Cimpor to respond; they did not. Shell declined to respond.]
- Related stories: Carbon offset projects benefit corporations, not victims of pollution, report alleges
- Related companies: Cimpor Commerzbank ConocoPhillips Eni Eskom Goldman Sachs Green Resources Greenstone Resources Industrial & Commercial Bank of China Nigerian Agip Oil Company (NAOC) (joint venture Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Eni, ConocoPhillips) Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Salini Impregilo Sasol Shell ThyssenKrupp