Alien Tort Claims Act (USA)
Related stories and components
Judicial remedies for victims of business human rights abuses narrowing & harassment of human rights defenders increasing, says Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
Author: Sif Thorgeirsson, Business & Human Rights Resource Centre in openGlobalRights
“Doors closing on judicial remedies for corporate human rights abuse,” 26 Jan 2015...
Author: Sif Thorgeirsson, Centre de Ressources sur les Entreprises et les Droits de l'Homme, dans openGlobalRights
Le droit à un recours est l'un des principaux piliers des Principes directeurs des Nations Unies relatifs aux entreprises et aux droits de l'homme. Cependant, un examen des nombreux procès intentés contre les entreprises concernant leurs impacts sur...
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre launches its third annual briefing on corporate legal accountability
More needs to be done to improve judicial remedies for victims of multinationals' human rights abuses, says Martyn Day
Author: Bibi van der Zee, Guardian (UK)
"Global injustices: getting access to the law is still impossible for most", 21 Jan 2015...
"Tribunal EEUU rechaza demanda colombiana por DDHH contra petrolera Occidental", 15 Diciembre del 2014...
- Related stories: US appeals court dismisses lawsuit against Occidental over alleged complicity in killings of 3 Colombian unionists
- Related in-depth areas: Últimas noticias - libertad de asociación Últimas noticias legales
- Related companies: Ecopetrol Occidental Petroleum
US appeals court dismisses lawsuit against Occidental over alleged complicity in human rights abuses in Colombia
USA: Chiquita asks court to prevent Securities & Exchange Commission from releasing records of its payments to Colombian paramilitaries
Author: Jenna Greene, National Law Journal (USA)
"Chiquita Asks Court to Shield Records of Pay to Paramilitary", 15 Dec 2014 [Subscription required]...
- Related companies: Chiquita
Author: Lawrence Hurley, Reuters
A landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision in 2013 that made it all but impossible to sue foreign companies in U.S. courts for alleged roles in overseas human rights abuses is proving to be a boon for U.S. firms too…In the roughly year and a half since...
Canadian courts increasingly used in litigation to hold companies accountable for human rights abuse abroad, says law firm
Author: H. Scott Fairley & Anastasija Sumakova, WeirFoulds LLP
Canada: Tort Liability At Home For Alleged Wrongs Abroad: The Common Law Goes Extraterritorial?, 2 Dec 2014...
- Related stories: Copper Mesa Mining lawsuit (re Ecuador) HudBay Minerals lawsuits (re Guatemala) Nevsun lawsuit (re Bisha mine, Eritrea) Tahoe Resources lawsuit (re Guatemala) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Copper Mesa Mining HudBay Minerals Nevsun Tahoe Resources
Author: Sif Thorgeirsson, Manager, Corporate Legal Accountability Project, Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
‘Closing the courtroom door: where can victims of human rights abuse by business find justice?’, 1 Dec 2014...
- Related stories: Abu Ghraib lawsuits against CACI, Titan (now L-3) Apartheid reparations lawsuits (re So. Africa) Chiquita lawsuits (re Colombia) Cisco Systems lawsuits (re China) Daimler lawsuit (re Argentina) Drummond lawsuit (re Colombia) ExxonMobil lawsuit (re Aceh) HudBay Minerals lawsuits (re Guatemala) Nestlé lawsuit (re Colombia) Nevsun lawsuit (re Bisha mine, Eritrea) Occidental lawsuit (re Colombia) Rio Tinto lawsuit (re Papua New Guinea) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Tahoe Resources lawsuit (re Guatemala) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Blogs & commentaries Latest Legal News
- Related companies: CACI Chiquita Cisco Systems Daimler Drummond ExxonMobil HudBay Minerals Nestlé Nevsun Occidental Petroleum Rio Tinto Shell Tahoe Resources Titan (now L-3 Titan)