Headquarters in USA
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
[PDF] Briefing note - Africa Oil Week 2013: Oil & gas industry must improve its respect for human rights
Author: Aliou Diouf, Joseph Kibugu, Nokukhanya Mncwabe, Julia Mello Neiva, Gregory Regaignon - Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
The oil & gas industry has a vital role to play in Africa’s development. But too often exploration and extraction are linked to human rights abuses against local residents, oil & gas revenues prop up repressive governments, and the promise of...
- Related stories: Briefing note: "Africa Oil Week 2013: Oil & gas industry must improve its respect for human rights" Chevron lawsuit (re Nigeria) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Shell lawsuit (re oil pollution in Nigeria) Talisman lawsuit (re Sudan) Show moreShow less
- Related companies: Addax Petroleum (part of Sinopec) AGIP (part of Eni) Chevron China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) Control Risks Eni Erinys International ExxonMobil Greater Nile Petroleum Operating Company (GNPOC) Marathon Oil Petronas Shell Sinopec Sudapet Talisman Tullow Oil
Author: Nick Meynen, EJOLT
[Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited Chevron to respond. Response provided below.] Peasants from local communities are occupying a piece of land to prevent the installation of Chevron for the exploration and exploitation of shale gas...
Author: Heba Saleh, Financial Times
Violent incidents...have become a recurrent feature for the hydrocarbons industry in Libya since the 2011 fall of Muammer Gaddafi, the former president...Part of the problem is that some of the local militias who guarded oil installations during the...
Author: Andina (Perú)
Las compañías y mineras están incrementando sus compromisos con los derechos humanos…en particular con los de los pueblos indígenas, revela el estudio de…Oxfam América sobre el Índice sobre Consentimiento de la Comunidad en el sector extractivo. Según...
- Related companies: Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Barrick Gold BHP Billiton BP Canadian Natural Resources Chevron ConocoPhillips ExxonMobil Freeport-McMoRan Goldcorp Hess Corporation Imperial Oil Inmet Mining Marathon Oil Perenco Pluspetrol Repsol Rio Tinto Shell Statoil Talisman Total Vale Xstrata (now part of Glencore)
Author: Associated Press
More than 470 people are suing BP for $1 billion, saying they became sick due to a 15-day gas leak at its refinery in Texas City. The Galveston County Daily News reports that BP says mercaptan leaked from a storage tank in November 2011. Mercaptan is...
Author: Oliver Balch, Ethical Corporation
[A]re the...[Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights] delivering? Are mining sites free, or freer, of human rights abuses than they were before? The mining signatories all insist that the past dozen years have brought huge progress...The...
[PDF] Shared Value in Emerging Markets: How Multinational Corporations Are Redefining Business Strategies to Reach Poor or Vulnerable Populations
Author: Greg Hills, Patty Russell, Veronica Borgonovi, Alex Doty and Lakshmi Iyer, FSG
The challenges facing poor or vulnerable populations require innovative, sustainable, and large-scale solutions...Large companies are uniquely positioned to leverage their size and business models to address social problems sustainably and at scale....
- Related stories: Report examines how to achieve business success through addressing societal needs; includes examples of good practices
- Related companies: Anglo American BP Cargill Celulosa Arauco y Constitución (CELCO) Cemex De Beers Eli Lilly Equity Bank GlaxoSmithKline Guangsha Group Holcim Holcim Apasco (part of Holcim) ICICI Larsen & Toubro Marathon Oil Novartis Novo Group Novo Nordisk (part of Novo Group) Pfizer Standard Chartered Statoil Tata Group Yara
Author: Benjamin Haas, Jim Polson, Phil Kuntz & Ben Elgin, Bloomberg
Energy companies failed to list more than two out of every five fracked wells in eight U.S. states from April 11, 2011, when FracFocus began operating, through the end of last year, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The gaps reveal shortcomings...
Author: Maria Otero, US Under Secretary for Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights
Our strategy for promoting respect for human rights through our foreign policy must reflect the world as it is, not as it used to be. Private companies are some of the world’s largest economic actors. Clearly, building bridges between government and...
- Related stories: US State Dept. hosts workshop on UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights (30 Apr)
- Related in-depth areas: 2012 UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights - Events
- Related companies: Barrick Gold BP Marathon Oil Newmont Rio Tinto Shell