Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Norway
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Statoil became StatoilHydro in May 2007, following a merger with the oil and gas division of Norsk Hydro, then changed its name back to Statoil in November 2009.
Author: Simon Lewis, Irrawaddy [Myanmar]
Burma’s Ministry of Energy…announced that it has awarded international firms, mostly from Western nations, 20 areas in its waters to explore for oil and gas…Following the announcement, watchdog groups called for heightened transparency from companies...
Author: Lisa Demer, Anchorage Daily News (USA)
[A] federal appeals court on Wednesday ruled in favor of environmental and Alaska Native groups and concluded the federal government failed to properly evaluate the scale of oil production that could result from a 2008 lease sale, throwing those...
Author: Ilham Rawoot, Al Jazeera
[T]he World Bank [says that] 55 percent of Mozambique's population still lives below the poverty line [and]...communities [are] suffering more than benefiting from the influx of the Liquefied Natural Gas...industry...[F]ish are now scarce, since.....
Author: Revenue Watch Institute
Recent natural gas finds and ongoing mining activities in Tanzania have sparked extensive national debate on how the nation should benefit from its wealth...[M]any in Tanzania are reflecting on the country’s experience with large-scale mining...[where...
Business, Human Rights, and Uganda’s Oil - Part II: Protect and Remedy: Implementing State duties under the UN Framework on Business and Human Rights
Author: Gabriella Wass & Chris Musiime, IPIS & ActionAid Uganda
In accordance with the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, this second report assesses the duty of the Ugandan, British, French and Chinese States to prevent, investigate, punish and redress human rights abuse by businesses. Based on...
- Related stories: Report on implementing State duties under the UN Framework on Business & Human Rights for Uganda's oil industry
- Related in-depth areas: Africa Civil society recommendations to governments Europe & Central Asia General Government contracts with investors Judicial remedies Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace Latest news on UNGPs Latest news on UNWG Oil & gas Procurement Providing guidance to companies State-based
- Related companies: CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Kaweri (part of Neumann Gruppe) Neumann Gruppe Statoil Tullow Oil
Author: Michael Fichter (Global Labour University of Germany) & Dimitris Stevis (Colorado State University), Friedrich Ebert Stiftung
Global Union Federations have made significant progress in advancing Global Framework Agreements that create arenas for labor relations based on the Core Labor Standards of the...ILO. These Agreements...are a means of setting minimum standards and...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on freedom of association USA
- Related companies: Accor Adecco Arcelor Mittal BMW Bosch Daimler Danone EADS (European Aeronautic Defence and Space) FCC Ferrovial Freudenberg G4S GEA Group H&M Hochtief IKEA Impregilo ISS Italcementi Kelly Services Lafarge Leoni ManpowerGroup Mercedes-Benz (part of Daimler) Prym Randstad Rheinmetall Rhodia SCA Securitas Siemens Skanska SKF Sodexo Statoil VolkerWessels
Author: CCFD-Terre Solidaire (France) et la CERN et ADEV Congo (Rép. dém. du Congo)
Ce rapport s’intéresse aux impacts des activités de l’entreprise Perenco, société pétrolière opérant en RDC à travers deux filiales (Perenco Rep. et MIOC), comme illustration des limites actuelles de la responsabilité et la redevabilité des...
- Related stories: Rép. dém. du Congo : Un nouveau rapport de CCFD-Terre Solidaire souligne les impacts sociaux et environnementaux des activités de Perenco à Muanda
- Related in-depth areas: Dernières infos « conflits et paix »
- Related companies: BNP Paribas BP Chevron Crédit Agricole Eni ExxonMobil HSBC ING Perenco Royal Bank of Scotland Shell Société Générale SOCO International Standard Chartered Statoil Sumitomo Group Sumitomo Mitsui Banking (part of Sumitomo Group) Total
Author: David Arnold, Voice of America
Significant oil reserves have been discovered in Uganda and Kenya in recent years. However before Kenyans and Ugandans can benefit from the discoveries infrastructure challenges, political issues and special interests must be overcome say experts.....
Author: Kofi Annan, Africa Progress Panel
The wise management of Africa’s incredible natural wealth is a high priority...Africa’s governments must manage these resource revenues wisely to lift millions of people out of poverty...Africa’s natural resource wealth rightly belongs to the...