Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Australia
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Australia: Shareholder resolutions call for listed companies to act on social and environmental issues
Author: Ruth Williams, Sydney Morning Herald
"How the new generation of activists corners boards", 14 October 2017...
Author: Susanna Rust, International Publishers Limited (UK)
A resolution passed by the European Parliament states that pension funds should commit to divesting from fossil fuels. The relevant passage of the resolution, which was adopted by a show of hands, states that the European Parliament: "Calls on...
- Related stories: European Parliament passes resolution calling on gov't., financial institutions to align practices with Paris Agreement temperature target & divest from fossil fuels
- Related companies: Aviva BAT (see British American Tobacco) BHP Billiton EOG Resources Rio Tinto Royal Dutch / Shell (see Shell) Schroders
Author: Adele Ferguson, Sydney Morning Herald
7 October 2017...
Author: Eli Greenblat, The Australian
"Social activists hijack Woolworths", 26 September 2017...
Author: Michael Slezak, The Guardian (Australia)
"BHP agrees to rethink its links to Minerals Council of Australia", 19 September 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: Accountability: Loss & damage, litigation, shareholder activism
- Related companies: AGL BHP Billiton
Author: Ojo Público.com
“Las deudas pendientes de ocho mineras por el uso del agua” – 12 de septiembre de 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on natural resources
- Related companies: Antamina (joint venture BHP Billiton, Glencore, Teck, Mitsubishi Corporation) Barrick Gold BHP Billiton Buenaventura China Minmetals Consorcio Minero Horizonte Glencore Grupo México Las Bambas (part of MMG) Milpo Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Minerals and Metals Group (MMG) (part of China Minmetals) Mitsubishi Group Newmont Southern Copper (part of Grupo México) Teck Resources Volcán Compañía Minera Votorantim
Global firms use carbon pricing to reduce emissions, analyze investments, and evaluate risk & opportunities of low-carbon economy
An internal carbon price is increasingly being used by companies across sectors and geographies to translate the risks and opportunities of a low-carbon economy into business decisions. Approximately 1,200 businesses from around the world are either...
Author: Matthew Renda, Courthouse News Services
"With Government Silent, Corporations Price Emissions to Help Fight Climate Change", 13 September 2017...
- Related stories: Global firms use carbon pricing to reduce emissions, analyze investments, and evaluate risk & opportunities of low-carbon economy
- Related in-depth areas: Mitigation Positive company initiatives
- Related companies: BHP Billiton BP Disney (see Walt Disney) General Motors Microsoft Rio Tinto Shell Unilever
Australia: Growing numbers of mining companies operating in Africa; greater transparency required to minimise risk of corrupt practices
Author: Eryk Bagshaw, Sydney Morning Herald
"The Australian companies mining $40 billion out of Africa", 10 September 2017...