Headquarters in United Kingdom
BHS website: http://www.bhs.co.uk
Author: BBC News
The government has outlined its plans to make companies justify high levels of executive pay [including] pay ratios, which would show the gap in earnings between the chief executive and an average employee. Shareholders would be handed more powers to...
- Related stories: UK: Government launches consultation on Corporate Governance reform - includes strengthening worker voice & scrutinise executive pay
- Related companies: BHS Sports Direct
- Related stories: Responses by garment brands to our questionnaire on the treatment of Syrian refugees in Turkish supplier factories
- This is a response from the following companies: BHS
UK: Investigation finds firms split over whether to pay new "national living wage" to workers under 25
Author: Simon Neville, Independent (UK)
Firms will only have to pay the “national living wage” to staff aged 25 or over when it starts in April. Under half of top retailers have so far promised to pay all staff the same rate for the same work, regardless of age. Simon Neville reports on the...
- Related companies: Aldi Alliance Boots (part of Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) Arcadia Group ASDA (part of Walmart) Associated British Foods B&Q (part of Kingfisher) BHS Debenhams H&M Inditex John Lewis Partnership Kingfisher Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR) Lidl Marks & Spencer New Look Next Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Sainsbury Sports Direct Tesco Waitrose (part of John Lewis Partnership) Walmart Zara (part of Inditex)
Author: Alex Evans, Mercury 24 (UK)
The Mercury took to the [Weston] town centre with a group of disabled shoppers to highlight the good work businesses have done to help since the Disability Discrimination Act (now the Equalities Act) became law in 2004 – as well as some of the...
Author: Simon Neville, Guardian [UK]
Walmart has confirmed it will not sign up to a legally binding agreement on worker safety and building regulations in Bangladesh…[T]he…retail giant has created its own agreement, which it claims goes beyond the current accord…The company…said the deal...
- Related companies: Aldi Arcadia Group ASDA (part of Walmart) Associated British Foods Benetton BHS C&A Calvin Klein (part of Phillips-Van Heusen) Carrefour El Corte Inglés G-Star H&M Helly Hansen Inditex John Lewis (part of John Lewis Partnership) KiK Loblaw Companies Mango Marks & Spencer Matalan Mothercare New Look Next Peacocks (part of EWM Group) Phillips-Van Heusen Primark (part of Associated British Foods) River Island (part of Lewis Trust) Sainsbury Tchibo Tesco Tommy Hilfiger (part of Phillips-Van Heusen) Walmart Zara (part of Inditex)
Institute for Global Labour & Human Rights report re alleged abuses at supplier factories in Bangladesh
Author: Compiled by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
On 8 March 2012, the Institute for Global Labour and Human Rights published a report…calling on major fashion brands to move immediately to stop beatings, imprisonment and firing of hundreds of workers at their supplier plants, Rosita Knitwears and...
Author: Martin Hickman, Independent [UK]
...[A] reporter for Channel 4’s Dispatches worked undercover in workshops in Leicester...[He] found: "dangerous, pressurised sweatshop conditions”; pay at half the legal minimum wage; workers exhorted to work faster under threat of the sack; cramped...
- Related stories: UK: Channel 4's Dispatches alleges "dangerous, sweatshop conditions" in workshops supplying clothes to major retailers
- Related companies: Arcadia Group Associated British Foods BHS C&A Jane Norman (part of Edinburgh Woollen Mill) New Look Peacocks (part of EWM Group) Primark (part of Associated British Foods)
Author: Huma Qureshi & Rebecca Smithers, Guardian [UK]
...The report, “Let's Clean Up Fashion: the State of Pay Behind the UK High Street”, published by sweatshop campaigning group Labour Behind the Label, criticised UK retailers for having "no coherent strategy" to ensure hundreds of thousands of workers...
- Related stories: Labour Behind the Label report says high street retailers in UK failing to ensure living wage for workers in Asia
- Related companies: ASDA (part of Walmart) BHS Bonmarché (part of Sun Capital Partners) Burberry Clarks Debenhams Ethel Austin French Connection Gap House of Fraser John Lewis (part of John Lewis Partnership) Laura Ashley Levi Strauss Marks & Spencer Matalan Monsoon Accessorize New Look Next Peacocks (part of EWM Group) Primark (part of Associated British Foods) River Island (part of Lewis Trust) Sainsbury's Tesco Topshop (part of Arcadia)