Associate (business & human rights division)
Human Rights Watch
- Location: Washington DC
- Salary: starts at $45,150
- Closing Date: 15/07/2016
The Business and Human Rights Division of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking a highly motivated and qualified person to provide administrative assistance and support to the team. The Business and Human Rights Division is a part of the Program Office, which consists of regional and thematic divisions and oversees research, reporting and various other work. The Business and Human Rights Division works to advance businesses and international financial institutions’ respect for human rights globally and conducts a wide range of work, including investigation, report writing, advocacy and media work. This Associate position will be based in the Washington, DC office and reports to the Director of the Business and Human Rights Division, based in Washington, DC.
- Providing day-to-day administrative support to Business and Human Rights Division staff, such as scheduling, making travel arrangements, preparing for and taking minutes at meetings, creating and maintaining extensive filing and archiving systems, and responding to requests for information;
- Recording, tracking, and processing divisional finances in a timely manner;
- Maintaining advocacy contacts and routinely sending relevant HRW research to appropriate individuals and organizations;
- Maintaining communication between HRW offices, global staff, and external partners;
- Editing, formatting and distributing materials such as news releases, reports, tables, charts, briefing papers, op‑eds, publications, and web content; preparing and drafting materials as needed;
- Assisting with research, electronic clippings, wires, and translations;
- Assisting with events such as news conferences, staff meetings, and special events;
- Assisting with the recruitment, supervision and mentoring of interns; and
- Carrying out other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in human rights, international relations, social science, or a related field is required.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is required. Business and human rights related experience is desirable.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Prior office/administration experience and exceptional organizational skills are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required; proficiency in other languages is desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously are required.
- Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions and complete tasks in a timely manner is required.
- Ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple locations globally is required.
- Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office applications is required.
- Interest in international human rights is required.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current US work authorization valid for a minimum of two years from start date.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range starts at $45,150. Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan and twenty (20) days of vacation per year.
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or by July 7, 2016 by visiting our online job portal at https://careers-hrw.icims.com/jobs/1194/login. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.