Member of UN Global Compact
This guide is aimed at investors seeking to examine corporate tax policy and practices. Tax is increasingly under the spotlight, intensifying financial, regulatory and reputational risks in this area for companies. Where tax practices are aggressive,...
- Related stories: ActionAid launches new guide for investors on how to seek a responsible approach to corporate tax
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on tax avoidance
- Related companies: Aggreko Barclays Burberry Cairn Energy Centrica Diageo Enron Experian G4S Glencore Goldman Sachs Imperial Tobacco John Lewis Partnership KPMG Legal & General Marks & Spencer Morrisons PricewaterhouseCoopers Rio Tinto Rolls-Royce plc SABMiller Schroders Smiths Group Starbucks Tyco Vodafone
Author: Standard Life Investments
Foreword by James Featherby...Investors regularly evaluate...a variety of risks that could impact on their investments, including the risks that social and environmental issues pose to secure, stable and safe operations. Human rights issues have been...
- Related stories: Standard Life Investments issues report on implementation of UN Guiding Principles on business & human rights in extractives sector
- Related companies: Anglo American Antofagasta BG Group BHP Billiton BP Cairn Energy Eni OMV Randgold Repsol YPF Rio Tinto Shell Statoil Total Tullow Oil Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
In its latest move to cover up the truth about its Arctic drilling, Cairn Energy has obtained an extraordinary, wide-ranging legal interdict (injunction) against us, gagging us from posting Tweets and Facebook updates containing photos of yesterday's...
Author: Rob Evans, Richard Cookson, Terry Macalister, Guardian [UK]
Serious spills of oil and gas from North Sea platforms are occurring at the rate of one a week, undermining oil companies' claims to be doing everything possible to improve the safety of rigs. Shell has emerged as one of the top offenders despite...
Companies are spending millions of dollars in local communities to support sustainability – environmental, social and governance (ESG)...Measuring the real and perceived benefits to communities of sustainability programs is important for assuring...
Author: Scottish Catholic International Aid Fund (SCIAF)
This report looks at Scotland’s largest oil company, Cairn Energy, and the impact of its work in north-west India. Cairn Energy invests in CSR and takes it seriously. Its CSR approach is broad and encompasses not only projects funded to benefit local...
- Related stories: India: Scottish Catholic Intl. Aid Fund report on impact of Cairn Energy's pipeline project, including on access to water, women, livelihoods
- Related in-depth areas: Recent NGO reports
- Related companies: Cairn Energy
Author: Rob Edwards, Herald [Scotland, UK]
Royal Bank of Scotland [RBS] is facing its biggest protests in a long history of protests. Environmental groups and hundreds of climate protesters are camped on the lawn at RBS’s…headquarters...[to protest] the bank’s role in funding the world’s dirty...
Author: Institute for Human Rights and Business
Companies have a responsibility to respect human rights, which means to act with due diligence to avoid infringing on the rights of others...But what does the corporate responsibility to respect mean in practice? And how effectively are companies...
- Related stories: Mary Robinson op-ed highlights developments in field of business & human rights, and areas for improvement
- Related companies: ABB Anglo American BHP Billiton Cairn Energy Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore) Chevron Coca-Cola Eni ExxonMobil Gap General Electric HP (Hewlett-Packard) Levi Strauss Merck Nestlé Novartis Novo Group Novo Nordisk (part of Novo Group) Royal Philips Electronics Shell Total Unilever Xstrata (now part of Glencore)