Company advances on human rights
Below are examples of practical steps companies are taking on human rights in their own operations and in their engagement with governments, from March 2015 onwards. Items from 2011-2015 are in the process of being added to this section.
For examples prior to 2011, see our categories on "Support for initiatives promoting civil & political rights" and "Support for initiatives promoting economic, social and cultural rights".
Related stories and components
Human Rights Impact Assessment of Business Activities: Key Criteria for Establishing a Meaningful Practice
Author: Nora GÖTZMAN, Business and Human Rights Journal, Volume 2, Issue 1
This article considers the emerging practice of human rights impact assessment (HRIA) in the field of business and human rights. As HRIA is relatively new, current approaches vary considerably, indicating that there is a need for the business and...
- Related stories: Business & Human Rights Journal 2/1
More than 760 co.s & investors call on new administration to commit to low carbon policies & Paris Agreement.
Author: Coordinated by C2ES, Ceres, Environmental Defense Fund, Environmental Entrepreneurs, The B Team, The Climate Group, We Mean Business, World Wildlife Fund
"Businesses back low carbon USA" ...
Companies are calling on peers as well as on the new administration to commit to climate action, international environmental standards and promote renewable energy.
Chief Sustainability Officer at HP calls for co.s to commit to climate action despite uncertain US policy
Author: Lara Birkes, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, on JustMeans.com
"The essential business of climate change", 14 February 2017...
- Related stories: USA: Companies take stance on climate change & renewable energy as new leadership takes office
- Related companies: Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Author: EnerGeek (France)
« Le spécialiste danois de l’éolien Dong Energy abandonnera le charbon d’ici 2023 », 8 février 2017...
- Related companies: DONG Energy
Weakening of Dodd-Frank Act will not affect general trend towards responsible mineral sourcing, says RCS Global
Author: RCS Global
“Stakeholder Update: Dodd-Frank 1502 Consultation”, 10 February 2017...
Publish What You Pay urges oil, gas & mining firms to support US law on disclosure of payments to govts. - statements of support by 13 firms
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre has invited 30 companies to respond to an open letter by Publish What You Pay coalitions and several of their member NGOs. The letter urges the 30 companies to issue statements in support of disclosure by...
Author: Claude Leguilloux, Boursier.com
« Vigeo Eiris remonte les scores de trois entreprises américaines », 6 février 2017...
- Related stories: La chaîne d’approvisionnement et la liberté syndicale sont les domaines où il y a peu de précisions par les entreprises sur les mesures mises en place, selon l’étude Vigeo Eiris Trump's travel ban - how is business responding?
- Related in-depth areas: USA: Trump administration actions on business & human rights
- Related companies: Amazon.com Expedia Microsoft
Author: John Reed & Richard Milne, Financial Times
"Ikea to provide jobs for Syrian refugees in new Jordanian project", 31 Jan 2017...
- Related stories: Access to work in Jordan & Lebanon for Syrian refugees, migrant workers and host populations
- Related companies: IKEA