Consultancy: Outreach for project on migrant workers in the Gulf construction industry
To build awareness and action within the Middle East region on the practices of construction companies regarding migrant workforces in Qatar and United Arab Emirates: primarily through outreach to Arabic-language media and social media outlets and relevant opinion leaders.
Terms & conditions:
Start date: 1 January 2016
Length of contract: One year, with a time commitment of a day per week
Compensation: Commensurate with experience and non-profit consultancy rates in the country in which the consultant is based
Location: Within the Middle East region
Reports to: Programme Director, based in New York
To apply: By Monday 16 November 2015 please send a CV, short cover letter explaining why this position appeals to you and why you are well suited for it, and contact details for two references, to:
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
Through its offices in London and New York, and regional representatives based in 13 other countries, the Resource Centre works to:
- Build transparency: tracking over 6,000 companies’ human rights performance – their advances and alleged abuses.
- Strengthen Accountability: seeking public responses from companies to allegations of abuse raised by civil society.
- Empower Advocates: based outside and within companies in all regions, equipping them with information and tools they need to advance human rights.
Find out more at www.business-humanrights.org .
Roles & responsibilities
Raise awareness particularly in Arabic news and social media outlets of a project engaging construction companies on their policies and practices relating to migrant workers in Qatar and United Arab Emirates. The position will work very closely with a project manager and the organization’s Program Director. Specifically:
- Establish a network of journalists in the region who are interested in this issue, pitch stories and keep them informed of new developments;
- Draw attention to company responses received through a project survey, and to examples of good practice on migrant workers;
- Develop and implement a social media outreach plan for the project;
- Cultivate relationships with relevant informed opinion leaders, institutes and organizations in the region to raise awareness and invite feedback.
The project builds on the Resource Centre’s initial outreach to construction companies in Qatar, profiled here.
Required skills and attributes
- Fluent Arabic and English, with strong writing and communications skills in both;
- Proven record in using the media and social media to raise awareness of a cause;
- Understanding of the issues surrounding migrant workers in the Middle East Gulf region;
- Commitment to social change, as well as ability to interact fairly and constructively with business representatives;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strategic thinker, able to identify new areas of opportunity and impact;
- Collaborative team worker, able to maintain strong lines of communication with colleagues while working from a distance.