East Africa Extractive Industries Program Advisor
- Location: Kenya or Uganda
- Contract Type: Fixed term (2 years)
- Closing Date: 15/02/2017
The East Africa Extractive Industries Program Advisor will support Oxfam to develop programming on extractive industries in countries across the region as well as the neighbouring region (including links to civil society in countries, such as Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe and South Africa and in Ghana, Nigeria). The position will advise Oxfam country programs in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, South Sudan and DRC on strategies, program design and fundraising opportunities. The position will help Oxfam country staff implement and monitor programs, identify and overcome obstacles, facilitate technical and research assistance and help ensure consistency of messaging and approach. The position will help promote intra and cross-regional learning among affiliates to strengthen program implementation.
Work closely with country program staff in supporting the development of new Oxfam country programs on extractive industries in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, South Sudan and DRC – on a rotational basis.
- Support the completion of extractives context analysis in countries where this does not exist, including stakeholder mapping, and analysis of the critical extractives issues.
- Assist country programs in campaigning and advocacy, including designing and executing technical assistance projects. Identify fundraising opportunities and support proposal development. Support the monitoring and execution of restricted funding projects.
- Facilitate extractive industries program (including advocacy, campaigning and gender) capacity-building and training. Design and execute cross-program learning exchanges. Participate in monitoring and evaluation of emerging country extractive industries programs.
- Represent Oxfam regionally on extractive industries issues, networking and relationship building with partners, allies, funders, ‘targets’, academics, researchers, civil society. Support regional influencing work at EAC, SADC and AU level, in coordination with regional policy leads.
- Contribute to Oxfam’s ‘worldwide influencing network’ by connecting East African organisations working on extractive industries, including gender and extractive industries, into Oxfam programming (particularly influencing) work in Horn and East Africa and globally, particularly in Oxfam affiliate countries that are home to mining companies.
- Relevant experience in advocacy, international development, human rights and/or environmental fields, with a strong knowledge specifically dedicated to program and/or advocacy work on extractive industries issues.
- Demonstrated program (including advocacy and campaign) design (including M&E) and management experience, with experience of developing multi country/team work an advantage.
- Well developed analytical, conceptual, research and writing skills.
- A deep understanding of extractive industries issues and trends, globally and in East Africa, with existing relationships to global and regional extractive industries networks an advantage.
- Excellent advisory skills – good at listening, analysing, giving feedback in ways that build capacity and understanding.
- Experience carrying out or contracting extractives industries program and influencing capacity building and training for civil society organisations a strong advantage.
- Experience in policy dialogue, advocacy and lobbying with government and private sector actors.
- Proven ability in social research and macro policy analysis, with a focus on extractive industries governance a strong advantage.