Headquarters in United Kingdom
Imperial Tobacco website: http://www.imperial-tobacco.com
Permanent Court of Arbitration orders Philip Morris to pay up to $38million to Australian Govt. over tobacco packaging challenge
Author: BBC (UK)
"Philip Morris: Tobacco giant ordered to compensate Australia", 10 Jul 2017...
Africa: Investigation reveals tobacco firms allegedly threatening efforts that could save millions from harmful effects of tobacco use; companies comment
Multinational tobacco firms have threatened governments in Africa demanding they axe or dilute the kind of protections that have saved millions of lives in the west, a Guardian investigation has found. Various companies mentioned in the investigation...
Australia: World Trade Organization says restrictive packaging law is a legitimate public health measure in dispute related to trade & tobacco companies
Author: Tom Miles, Martinne Geller & John Stonestreet, Reuters
"Australia wins landmark WTO tobacco packaging case, reports", 5 May 2017...
Analysis shows only a hanfdul of company statements are meeting the Act’s requirements, majority lack adequate information
Canada: Quebec court orders 3 tobacco firms to pay CA$15.5 billion over failure to warn plaintiffs of health impacts of smoking
Tobacco companies are reportedly preparing to launch legal claims against the British Government for losses as a result of the introduction of plain packaging for cigarettes. It is thought the companies will argue that forcing them to use plain...
UK: Tobacco firms protest at Labour party's plan to tax them more to pay for National Health Service
Author: Angela Monaghan, Guardian (UK)
Author: Human Rights Watch
[Includes correspondence with Altria, British American Tobacco, China National Tobacco, Imperial Tobacco, Japan Tobacco, Lorillard Tobacco (part of Carolina Group), Philip Morris International, Reynolds American & Universal Corporation]
- Related stories: USA: Children working on tobacco farms suffer from nicotine poisoning, Human Rights Watch report - includes video
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on Children
- Related companies: Alliance One Altria British American Tobacco Imperial Tobacco Lorillard Tobacco (part of Carolina Group) Philip Morris International Reynolds American Universal Corporation
Vigeo identified four sectors (Mining, Food, Tobacco and Specialised Retail) that are more exposed to child labour issues than others due their high labour intensity, complex supply chains and their frequent presence weak governance zones. Vigeo’s...
- Related stories: Analysis of challenges & best practices in tackling child labour in food, mining, retail, tobacco sectors Nestlé, Cargill, Archer Daniels Midland lawsuit (re Côte d'Ivoire)
- Related in-depth areas: Case examples Latest news on Children
- Related companies: Alliance One Archer Daniels Midland British American Tobacco Cargill Glencore Glencore Xstrata (now Glencore) Hershey Imperial Tobacco Nestlé Nike Universal Corporation