Denial of freedom of expression
International standards & introductory material on denial of freedom of expression: click here
Articles & reports from a range of sources are below.
Related stories and components
USA: Crackdown on journalists & activists protesting against infrastructure projects has intensified, commentator says
Author: Zoë Carpenter, The Nation (USA)
"PHOTOS: Since Standing Rock, 56 Bills Have Been Introduced in 30 States to Restrict Protests", 16 Feb 2018...
Cambodia: Global human rights organizations urge gov't to protect labour rights and drop baseless charges against labour activists
Author: Mom Sophon, Khmer Times
"Rights defenders urge charges to be dropped," 20 February 2018...
Author: Radio NZ
14 February 2018 Following his visits to Fiji, Papua New Guinea and Indonesia, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights...highlighted a range of deep concerns in these countries...
Cambodia: Mother Nature activists say they’ve been ‘robbed’ of freedom for documenting illegal sand-bearing vessels; plan to appeal guilty verdict
Author: Yesenia Amaro & Niem Chheng, The Phnom Penh Post
"Freed Mother Nature activists decry 'injustice'" 14 February 2018...
- Related stories: Cambodia: Mother Nature activists fined & sentenced to serve 5 months in prison for recording controversial sand dredging operations
- Related companies: LYP Group
Germany: Law requiring social media companies to remove 'illegal content' violates free speech, according to Human Rights Watch
Author: Human Rights Watch
"Germany: Flawed social media law," 14 February 2018...
Author: 7amleh (Israel)
"7amleh publishes innovative research on “Internet Freedoms in Palestine: Mapping of Digital Rights Violations and Threats”", 22 January 2018...
'Is Fox News a breach of human rights?’: The news media's immunity from the Guiding Principles on Business & Human Rights
Author: Sarah Joseph
"'Is Fox News a Breach of Human Rights?’: The News Media’s Immunity from the Guiding Principles on Business & Human Rights," 14 April 2016...
- Related stories: Business & Human Rights Journal (Volume 1, Issue 2)
- Related companies: Fox Entertainment (part of News Corporation) News Corporation
"Vietnamese activist gets 14-year sentence for documenting chemical spill", 08 February 2018...
- Related stories: Vietnam: Fish deaths blamed on Formosa Plastics put fisherfolk out of work, spark rare protests
- Related companies: Formosa Plastics
Author: Finnwatch (Finland)
Thai authorities must take decisive action to protect freedom of speech and migrant worker rights, says Finnwatch as trial against 14 migrant workers from Myanmar on criminal defamation charges begins in Bangkok on 7th February 2018... “In this case,...
- Related stories: Betagro & Thammakaset lawsuits (re labour exploitation in Thailand)
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders