International standards & introductory material on "killings": click here
Articles & reports from a range of sources are below.
Related stories and components
Commentary: Companies' ineffective grievance mechanisms can amplify consequences of human rights abuses
Author: Jeff Conant, Friends of the Earth U.S., Business and Human Rights Journal
"Failures of redress, or when is a grievance mechanism not a grievance mechanism?", 22 Nov 2017...
- Related stories: UN Forum blog series
- Related companies: Cargill Musim Mas Reforestación de Palma del Petén (Repsa) (part of Grupo Hame) Wilmar International
Author: Acacia Mining
"Acacia Mining reponse" Acacia Mining has provided a previous response to these allegations when they were first raised. The new letter repeats previous allegations and as such Acacia has nothing further to add at this stage.
- Related stories: Tanzania: Activists want justice for victims of alleged human rights abuses at Acacia's mine included in govt.'s framework agreement with parent Barrick Gold; company responds
- This is a response from the following companies: Acacia (formerly African Barrick Gold)
Activists want justice for victims of human rights abuses at Acacia's mine included in govt.'s framework agreement with parent Barrick Gold
Author: Legal & Human Rights Centre, HakiRasilimali, Tanzania Human Rights Defenders Coalition & others
“Address human rights concerns at Acacia’s North Mara Gold Mine under the framework agreement with Barrick Gold Corporation”...
Author: ISAGEN, El Colombiano
[Unofficial translation by the Resource Centre]...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Positive initiatives by businesses to protect civic freedoms
- Related companies: Brookfield Isagen (part of Brookfield)
Tanzania: Activists want justice for victims of alleged human rights abuses at Acacia's mine included in govt.'s framework agreement with parent Barrick Gold; company responds
Human rights advocacy organisations have urged the govt. to address human rights abuses allegedly committed at Acacia's North Mara mine, as part of the framework agreement with Acacia's parent company, Barrick Gold. The activists are seeking President...
Author: Ashish Joshi, Sky News (UK)
"Pimp says Rohingya plight 'good for business'", 13 Nov 2017...
Mexico: End of the mission statement of Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples denounces mega projects & lack of consultation
Author: Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
“End of mission Satement by the Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples on her mission to Mexico,” 17 Nov 2017...
Myanmar: Chevron says it will push for human rights following criticism over its partnership with govt.
Author: Faarea Masud, BBC World Service
"Chevron says it will push for Myanmar human rights", November 2017...
- Related stories: Myanmar: Business & investor responses to the Rohingya crisis
- Related companies: Chevron Total