Torture & ill-treatment
International standards & introductory material on torture & ill-treatment: click here
Articles & reports from a range of sources are below.
Related stories and components
France: Criminal investigation requested into Amesys' (renamed Nexa Technologies) alleged complicity in torture & enforced disappearances in Egypt
Swedish energy firm Vattenfall conducts “first” analysis of human rights risks of sourcing from Colombia
“New report on human rights risks in Colombia” – 07 November 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Latest news on natural resources Mitigation Positive company initiatives
- Related companies: Anglo American BHP Billiton Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore) Colombia Natural Resources, CNR (part of Murray Energy) Drummond Glencore Prodeco (part of Glencore) Vattenfall
Laos: Villagers are held incommunicado for cutting trees from land concession granted to Vietnamese company; land grabs prevalent in the country
Author: Ounkeo Souksavanh, Radio Free Asia
"Lao Land Protest Villagers Held in Failing Health", 02 November 2017...
- Related companies: Laos-Vietnam Friendship Rubber Co., Ltd (LVF)
Ethiopia: Employment agents complicit in human trafficking by giving false promises to foreign workers seeking employment in the Middle East
Author: Tom Gardner, Thomas Reuters Foundation
"Despite abuses, expelled Ethiopians hope to be smuggled back to Saudi Arabia"...
US judge says lawsuit against CACI over alleged inhuman treatment of ex-Abu Ghraib prisoners in Iraq can proceed
Author: UNOG Information Services, OHCHR (Switzerland)
"Report highlights rising reprisals against human rights defenders cooperating with the UN", 20 Sep 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
Author: Felipe Milanez, Carta Capital (Brazil)
"MPF suspeita de massacre de indígenas no Amazonas-Se confirmado, este seria o segundo ato de genocídio cometido por invasores contra indígenas isolados no Vale do Javari em 2017", 13 de setembro de 2017...
Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletin: Lawsuits by companies seek to silence accountability advocates
Intl. Organisation for Migration criticises Facebook for failing to remove ransom video of traffickers abusing migrants; incl. company comments
Author: Emma Batha, Thomson Reuters Foundation
"Facebook lambasted over ransom video of traffickers abusing migrants", 25 Aug 2017...
- Related companies: Facebook