International standards & introductory material on indigenous peoples: click here
Articles & reports from a range of sources are below.
Related stories and components
Guatemala: Ronald David Barillas, environmental & human rights defender working on impacts of sugar and mining, killed
Ronald David Barilla, a member of the Xinka indigenous parliament and a well-known leader of the community, was killed on 9th of January in Santa Rosa, Guatemala, by unknown people. Ronald’s work stressed the environmental impact of the sugar...
Canada creates independent Ombudsperson & multi-stakeholder advisory body to strengthen responsible business conduct abroad
Canada's Minister of International Trade has announced two new responsible business initiatives for Canadian companies doing business and operating abroad. The first is the creation of an independent Canadian Ombudsperson for Responsible Enterprise ...
Sweden: Lack of investment in climate solutions by fund management co's puts Paris agreement at risk, finds report; incl. co responses
"Turning the tide - The urgent need to shift capital flows to climate solutions: A case study of ten fund management companies", a new report by Swedwatch focuses on the role of the finance sector in reallocating large capital streams towards green...
Author: Tahoe Resources
“MSR condemns any threats or violent actions against communities, citizens and human rights advocates” 16 of January 2018...
- Related stories: Guatemala: Ronald David Barillas, environmental & human rights defender working on impacts of sugar and mining, killed
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights defenders
- This is a response from the following companies: Tahoe Resources
Author: Élisabeth Schneiter, Reporterre (France)
« 312 défenseurs de l'environnement et des droits humains ont été assassinés en 2017 », 16 janvier 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Dernières infos sur les défenseurs des droits de l'homme
- Related companies: Tahoe Resources
Author: Piero Locatelli, Repórter Brasil (Brazil)
"Indígenas do Maranhão buscam romper com o resto da sociedade-Conhecidos por expulsar madeireiros do seu território, os Ka'apor trabalham em um movimento maior, que busca a autonomia para controlar seu território", 9 de janeiro de 2018Em uma das...
- Related in-depth areas: Defensores/as de direitos humanos Últimas notícias sobre defensores/as de direitos humanos
Kenya: UN experts call for respect of indigenous peoples' rights in implementing EU-funded climate change mitigation project
Author: John H. Knox, Michel Forst & Victoria Tauli-Corpuz (UN Special Rapporteurs)
“Indigenous rights must be respected during Kenya climate change project, say UN experts"...
Andean Region: New study shows almost “perfect correlation” between violent social conflicts and new mining projects
Author: Mario Pérez-Rincón and Nick Meynen at InterContinental Cry
Academic research confirms: more mining leads to more fighting” - January 15, 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas Latest news on natural resources
- Related companies: Anglo American BHP Billiton Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore) China Minmetals Glencore Las Bambas (part of MMG) Minerals and Metals Group (MMG) (part of China Minmetals)