International standards & introductory material on labour rights: click here
Articles & reports from a range of sources are below.
Related stories and components
Peru: Intl. Labour Organization says fire at commercial building in which 4 workers died is a “case of modern slavery”, as they were illegally locked inside
“Peru's Fire Killing 4 Workers Is Case of Modern Slavery: ILO”...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour
Business Human Rights Responsibility for Refugees & Migrant Workers: Turning Policies into Practice in the Middle East
Author: Samentha Goethals, Joseph Bardwell, Mariam Bhacker, & Bahaa Ezzelarab, Business & Human Rights Resource Centre in Business & Human Rights Journal
...Our focus in this piece is to consider how companies have been implementing their human rights responsibility to address the risks and challenges faced by refugees and migrant workers in the Middle East, a region that is currently experiencing...
- Related in-depth areas: Construction firms & migrant workers in Qatar and UAE Syrian refugees: Abuse & exploitation in Turkish garment factories
- Related companies: Al Balagh Trading & Contracting Al Jaber Group Arcadia Group ASOS Associated British Foods BAM International (part of Royal BAM) Burberry C&A Esprit FIFA Gap Gerry Weber H&M HBK Contracting Company Inditex J&P Avax SA J.C. Penney Joannou & Paraskevaides (Overseas) KiK Larsen & Toubro LC Waikiki Lidl Liz Claiborne (part of J.C. Penney) Mexx (part of Liz Claiborne) Midmac Mothercare New Look New Yorker Next OHL Otto Porr Primark (part of Associated British Foods) River Island (part of Lewis Trust) s.Oliver Sainsbury's SuperGroup Tchibo Tesco VF Corp Walmart White Stuff
Commentary: Civil society is increasingly using strategic litigation to address corporate human rights abuses
Author: Dr Carolijn Terwindt & Christian Schliemann, European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights, in Civicus State of Civil Society Report 2017
"Transnational strategic litigation: an emerging part of civil society’s repertoire for corporate accountability", Jun 2017...
UN Committee reminds govts. of duty to establish remedies beyond natl. borders for adverse corporate human rights impacts
Author: UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
“Business and human rights: States’ duties don’t end at the national borders”, 23 Jun 2017...
New laws & public opinion can help fight modern slavery, but companies should be more proactive in self-reporting
Author: Lindsay Fortado, Financial Times (UK)
Forced labour was once a niche human rights matter for large companies but it has moved to the forefront of corporate concerns with the introduction of the UK's Modern Slavery Act. ... While the law is often criticised for lacking teeth... it has...
USA: Big business aim to convince Supreme Court that workplace arbitration banning class actions does not violate federal labour law
Author: Marcia Coyle, National Law Journal (USA)
"Big Business Urges Justices to Uphold Bans on Employee Class Actions", 21 Jun 2017...
Author: Ahram Online (Egypt)
Egypt appeals court reduces sentence on workers jailed for illegal protest, 18 June 2017...
- Related stories: Egypt: Tourah Cement security guards say they were arrested for peaceful sit-in over their dismissal
- Related companies: HeidelbergCement