Related stories and components
Author: Carol Morello, Washington Post
The State Department on Tuesday listed China as one of the countries with the worst records on sex trafficking and forced labor, a downgraded designation that Beijing labeled irresponsible and which could complicate Washington’s efforts to further...
- Related stories: US Department of State Trafficking in Persons Report 2017
- Related companies: Ivanka Trump
EU: Commission publishes guidelines on implementation of non-financial reporting directives by companies
Author: EU Commission
...This document has been prepared pursuant to Article 2 of Directive 2014/95/EU in order to help companies concerned disclose non-financial information in a relevant, useful, consistent and more comparable manner. This Communication provides non...
Author: Electronic Industry Citizenship Coalition
Responsible Labor Initiative Launches to Promote Rights of Workers Vulnerable to Forced Labor, 26 June 2017...
...The “Sustainability in supplier relations” concept is based on the “Volkswagen Group requirements regarding sustainability in its relationships with business partners (Code of Conduct for Business Partners)”. This formulates the Volkswagen Group’s...
- Related companies: Volkswagen
Commentary: Civil society is increasingly using strategic litigation to address corporate human rights abuses
Author: Dr Carolijn Terwindt & Christian Schliemann, European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights, in Civicus State of Civil Society Report 2017
"Transnational strategic litigation: an emerging part of civil society’s repertoire for corporate accountability", Jun 2017...
Author: Anna Dannreuther & Hayley Chapman, Rights Info
"The Highs and Lows of the UK’s Business and Human Rights Laws", 16 Jun 2017...
Author: Fast Retailing
Uniqlo, one of the main brands of Fast Retailling, has published a list of their "Core Partner Factories". There is no similar list for GU, the other main apparel brand of Fast Retailing.
- Related stories: Japan: Fast Retailing announces it will make its supply chain public "as soon as possible"
- Related in-depth areas: Positive company initiatives Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games
- Related companies: Fast Retailing
KnowTheChain case study: How are footwear companies and luxury clothing brands tackling forced labour risks in their leather supply chains?
This case study assesses how a sample of five footwear companies and five luxury clothing brands address forced labour risks across their leather supply chains....
- Related stories: KnowTheChain: Ranking companies' efforts to address forced labour in their supply chains
- Related companies: adidas Belle International Holdings Limited Calvin Klein (part of PVH) Hugo Boss Kering Prada Puma PVH (Phillips-Van Heusen) Timberland (part of VF Corp) Tommy Hilfiger (part of PVH) VF Corp
New laws & public opinion can help fight modern slavery, but companies should be more proactive in self-reporting
Author: Lindsay Fortado, Financial Times (UK)
Forced labour was once a niche human rights matter for large companies but it has moved to the forefront of corporate concerns with the introduction of the UK's Modern Slavery Act. ... While the law is often criticised for lacking teeth... it has...