Lawsuits: Selected cases
Related stories and components
Cambodia: Global human rights organizations urge gov't to protect labour rights and drop baseless charges against labour activists
Author: Mom Sophon, Khmer Times
"Rights defenders urge charges to be dropped," 20 February 2018...
Binding corporate human rights obligations: A few observations from the South African legal framework
Author: Lise Smit
"Binding Corporate Human Rights Obligations: A Few Observations from the South African Legal Framework," 15 April 2016...
- Related stories: Business & Human Rights Journal (Volume 1, Issue 2)
Author: Alejandra Gonza
"Integrating Business and Human Rights in the Inter-American Human Rights System," 21 April 2016...
- Related stories: Business & Human Rights Journal (July 2016)
- Related companies: Compañía General de Combustibles (part of Southern Cross) Petroecuador Southern Cross
"Vietnamese activist gets 14-year sentence for documenting chemical spill", 08 February 2018...
- Related stories: Vietnam: Fish deaths blamed on Formosa Plastics put fisherfolk out of work, spark rare protests
- Related companies: Formosa Plastics
Author: Doug Cassel
"Outlining the Case for a Common Law Duty of Care of Business to Exercise Human Rights Due Diligence," 21 April 2016...
Indonesia: Court sentences environment defender to 10 months in jail; use of anti-communism law alarms activists
Author: Hans Nicholas Jong, Mongabay
"Indonesian ruling rings alarms over criminalization of environmental defenders," 26 January 2018...
- Related stories: Indonesia: Report links communism suit against protester to campaign against gold mine; PT Bumi Suksesindo responds
- Related companies: PT Bumi Sukesindo
UK: Traffickers of Vietnamese women for UK nail salon serve prison time; case is the first successful prosecution under the Modern Slavery Act
Author: Thomson Reuters Foundation
"Traffickers jailed for enslaving Vietnamese women in U.K. nail salons," 03 January 2018...
- Related stories: UK: Traffickers who enslaved Vietnamese girls for nail salon jailed under the Modern Slavery Act
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour
In May 2017 Mineral Sands Resources (MSR), a subsidiary of Australian mining company Mineral Commodities Limited (MRC), filed a lawsuit against two attorneys from the Centre for Environmental Rights (CER) and a community activist. MSR are suing the...
BHP, Vale & Samarco: New agreement reached in civil law proceedings; incl. extending timeline for agreeing reparation arrangements
Author: R.T. Watson, Sydney Morning Herald
"BHP-Vale deal distances companies from $71.5b in dam collapse lawsuits", 18 November 2017...