Headquarters in Canada
Canada: Lawsuit against Nevsun for alleged forced labour & torture in Eritrea mine can proceed, says Appeal Court
Author: Canadian Centre for International Justice
" Appeal court confirms slave labour lawsuit against Canadian mining company can go to trial ", 21 Nov 2017...
Eritrea: Metalor & Lufthansa accused of importing gold extracted under conditions of forced labour to Switzerland; incl. company responses
On 30 August 2017, Swiss national TV aired a major report detailing how huge amounts of raw gold extracted from Eritrea, under practices of forced labour and slavery, end up in Switzerland for the final process of refinery. The report indicates that...
Author: Christelle Belporo, Université de Montréal, dans Agence Science Presse Blog
« Les multinationales au banc des accusés », 11 août 2017...
Human Rights Watch submission to UN Working Group on overseas operations of Canadian extractive companies
Author: Human Rights Watch
Canada - arguably the global mining industry's most important hub - needs to develop mechanisms that pay close attention to the human rights records of Canadian companies when they operate abroad...[Human Rights Watch] has urged the Candian govt. to...
Corporate Legal Accountability Annual Briefing - Corporate impunity is common & remedy for victims is rare
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
This year’s Annual Briefing highlights the rising impunity of companies’ involvement in human rights abuse...Unscrupulous companies are increasingly targeting activists, using the justice system to hold them accountable, with repression and lawsuits. ...
- Related stories: New briefing on legal accountability: Corporate impunity is common & remedy for victims is rare
- Related in-depth areas: Corporate Legal Accountability Annual Briefings Latest Legal News
- Related companies: adidas Arcelor Mittal Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore) Chiquita ConocoPhillips DJ Houghton Dow Chemical Drummond Eternit (Switzerland) ExxonMobil Ford Kappes, Cassiday & Associates KiK Lafarge (part of LafargeHolcim) LafargeHolcim Lahmeyer Mineral Commodities (MRC) Natural Fruit Nestlé Nevsun RWE Shell Socfin Tiffany Titan Cement Trafigura Beheer Union Carbide (part of Dow) Villaggio Mall Vinci
Recent & future trends in access to remedy for corporate abuse – new briefing by Clifford Chance & Global Business Initiative
Author: Clifford Chance & Global Business Initiative on Human Rights
"Access to Remedy: The Next Frontier?", 16 March 2017...
Columnist says Connell Company supplying equipment to mines accused of slave labour & environmental degradation
Author: Eduardo Garcia, The Guardian
"US has provided $315m in financing to supplier of mines accused of slave labor"...
- Related stories: Eritrea: Columnist claims Connell Company trades with companies complicit in slave labour; includes company response
- Related companies: Nevsun The Connell Company
Columnist claims Connell Company trades with companies complicit in human rights abuses, including slave labour in Eritrea; company responds
An article in The Guardian alleges that The Connell Company has been trading with companies that have been implicated in slave labour, environmental degradation among other human rights violations. In its response, the company said that, with its...
Commentary: Recent decisions show willingness of Canadian courts to hold companies liable for overseas abuses of intl. human rights norms
Author: Michael G. Congiu, John Kloosterman, Stefan Marculewicz, Aaron Saltzman & Lavanga Wijekoon; Littler, on JD Supra (USA)
"Advancing Human Rights Claims Based on Global Supply Chain Activities: Recent Developments in California and Canada", 15 Feb 2017...