Participating Supplier Program Manager
Fair Labor Association
- Location: Washington, DC
- Rolling application
About the Fair Labor Association
The Fair Labor Association (FLA) combines the efforts of industry, civil society organizations and colleges and universities to promote and protect workers’ rights and to improve working conditions globally through adherence to international standards. The FLA is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has offices in Geneva, Switzerland and Shanghai, China. For information, visit www.fairlabor.org.
The Participating Supplier Program Manager is responsible for developing FLA’s Participating Supplier program and managing relationships with the factory and factory groups that affiliate directly with the FLA in this affiliate category. The ideal candidate for this position brings knowledge of supplier business operations, international labor standards, and the challenges and opportunities suppliers face in implementing those standards in factories around the world. The Participating Supplier Program Manager is responsible for helping companies in this category understand their FLA obligations and offering guidance on building capacity to meet FLA requirements. The Manager will be part of FLA’s Stakeholder Services & Communications group.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Serve as primary FLA contact for Participating Supplier affiliates and engage with them, individually and in group settings, on a regular basis
• Implement the Participating Supplier program and measure progress in achieving programmatic goals
• Assist suppliers in understanding their obligations to the FLA and how best they can go about fulfilling them. S/he is familiar with the dynamics of global supply chains and the challenges and opportunities faced by suppliers and brands, and supports suppliers in their efforts to develop their internal management systems and build capacity to:
(1) implement the FLA Workplace Code of Conduct and compliance benchmarks, and
(2) the FLA Principles of Fair Labor & Responsible Production.
• Assist in developing training material that is relevant for supplier affiliates
• Collect and share best practices with suppliers • Identify opportunities for continuous improvement at the supplier level
• Respond to supplier inquiries about FLA affiliation
• Represent the FLA at supplier-related regional and stakeholder events Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree in human resource management, labor studies, employment relations, sociology, business administration, supply chain management, industrial relations or other relevant field; advanced degree a plus
• Five to seven years of experience working with companies and factories, and knowledge of manufacturing/sourcing, preferably with compliance/auditing experience
• Excellent knowledge of international labor standards; supply chains and the issues related to working conditions in factories; and multi-stakeholder initiatives
• Experience communicating and working with both brands and suppliers
• Excellent command of English; fluency in at least one Asian language
• Passion for working in the intersection of business and social responsibility
• Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• Requires consistent and timely responses to phone and email inquiries
• Ability to thrive under tight deadlines
• Strong presentation, listening and communications skills
• Ability to maintain patience under pressure
• Creative and diplomatic problem solving skills
• Ability to multi-task and work with global FLA staff
• Strong critical thinking and reporting skills
Please send cover letter and resume to [email protected] Include Participating Supplier Program Manager in the subject line. This position can be performed from a remote location and will require international travel.