Related stories and components
Author: Ardea International
This report focuses on the jewellery sector. We have included eight of the major jewellers in the UK, namely the Signet Group (and the companies under its control, as listed in the table in this report), Tiffany & Co., Goldsmiths, Links, F. Hinds,...
- Related in-depth areas: Modern slavery
- Related companies: Boodle & Dunthorne Cartier (part of Richemont) De Beers Diarough Ernest Jones (part of Signet) Goldsmiths H.Samuel (part of Signet) Kay Jewelers (part of Signet) Leslie Davis (part of Signet) Newmont Richemont Rio Tinto Rosy Blue Signet Tiffany Zale (part of Signet)
South African banks fund mining projects in southern Africa that raise issues over social, environmental, human rights impacts, says new report
Southern Africa Resource Watch, in announcing its report, South African Banks Footprint in SADC Mining Projects, said:...
So. Africa: Mineral Governance Barometer for Southern Africa launched; pilot study reviews mining regulations in 10 countries
Author: Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa & Southern Africa Resource Watch (South Africa)
This pilot study provides a barometer of mineral governance in ten Southern African countries: Botswana, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. The barometer takes...
Nedbank evaluates mining projects against the International Finance Corporation’s (IFC) (a division of the World Bank) Performance Standards, and Equator Principles. We take an integrated and risk-based approach to managing environmental and social...
- Related stories: South African banks fund mining projects in southern Africa that raise issues over social, environmental human rights impacts, says new report
- This is a response from the following companies: Nedbank
Botswana: Communities say they may take BCL to court over alleged environmental pollution and destruction of livelihoods
Author: Rearabilwe Ramaphane, Weekend Post (Botswana)
"Residents may sue Gov’t for BCL smoke", 5 Dec...
- Related companies: BCL
Botswana: BCL miners and workers union say they are "shocked" by lack of money to pay terminal benefits
Author: The Patriot (Botswana)
"Botswana: BCL - Workers' "Final Assault", 6 Nov 2016...
- Related companies: BCL
Botswana: NGOs say De Beers, govt. and ruling party in "opaque" dealings that fuel tax evasion by the conglomerate - includes company responce
The Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA), Southern Africa Resource Watch (SARW), and the African Network of Centers for Investigative Reporting (ANCIR) produced a research report; "Botswana's Diamond Deception). The report says critical...
Author: De Beers group
De Beers Group publishes detailed financial information about Debswana both at the full year and half year via Anglo American plc, De Beers’ parent company. This includes production volume (split by mine), price per carat, unit cost...available on...
- Related stories: Botswana: NGOs say De Beers, govt. and ruling party in "opaque" dealings that fuel tax evasion by the conglomerate - includes company response
- This is a response from the following companies: De Beers Debswana (joint venture De Beers & Botswana Govt.)
Author: Laure Broulard, RFI
"Marché du diamant: quelles retombées économiques pour les pays africains?", 29 juin 2016...