Related stories and components
Corporate Legal Accountability Annual Briefing - Corporate impunity is common & remedy for victims is rare
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
This year’s Annual Briefing highlights the rising impunity of companies’ involvement in human rights abuse...Unscrupulous companies are increasingly targeting activists, using the justice system to hold them accountable, with repression and lawsuits. ...
- Related stories: New briefing on legal accountability: Corporate impunity is common & remedy for victims is rare
- Related in-depth areas: Corporate Legal Accountability Annual Briefings Latest Legal News
- Related companies: adidas Arcelor Mittal Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore) Chiquita ConocoPhillips DJ Houghton Dow Chemical Drummond Eternit (Switzerland) ExxonMobil Ford Kappes, Cassiday & Associates KiK Lafarge (part of LafargeHolcim) LafargeHolcim Lahmeyer Mineral Commodities (MRC) Natural Fruit Nestlé Nevsun RWE Shell Socfin Tiffany Titan Cement Trafigura Beheer Union Carbide (part of Dow) Villaggio Mall Vinci
NGOs petition Australia's export credit agency over funding controversial new coal mine in South Africa; say doing so would impact negatively on climate change
Author: Naaman Zhou, The Guardian (UK)
"Don't fund coal mine, activists plead with Australian export credit agency", 6 April 2017...
So. Africa: NGO says working with widows of Marikana massacre to tell their own story; says official account insulated Lonmin and govt. from accountability
Author: Keaton Allen-Gessesse, SERI litigation volunteer and Harvard Public Service Venture Fellow (USA)
"Who owns the story of South Africa’s Marikana massacre?", 22 March 2017...
- Related stories: So. Africa: Farlam Commission report into Lonmin's Marikana mine massacre released
- Related companies: Lonmin
So.Africa: NGOs say very pleased with court decision recognising the significant climate change impacts of proposed new coal-fired station; urge minister to ensure full climate change impact assessment is done
Author: Milissa Reitz, Business Live (South Africa)
"Court pours water on coal-fired power station plan", 13 March 2017...
2017 Corporate Accountability Index evaluates 22 companies on their commitments to freedom of expression & privacy
Author: Ranking Digital Rights
"Ranking Digital Rights Corporate Accountability Index", 23 Mar 2017...
So. Africa: Security guards dismissed by Securitas during student protests in 2016 at UWC protest against dismissal; say students forced them to leave and not report for work
Author: Ashleigh Furlong, Ground Up (South Africa)
"Dismissed security guards demonstrate outside UWC", 14 March 2017...
- Related companies: Securitas
So. Africa: DRDGold mine directors face $770 000 fine and jail term for failure to rehabilitate closed mine
Author: Sheree Bega, Saturday Star (South Africa)
"Mining directors face R10m fine, jail time for pollution", 11 March 2017...
- Related companies: DRDGold
Author: Human Rights Watch
.. Der diesjährige G20-Gipfel und das ihm vorausgehende Treffen der Arbeitsminister sind wichtige Gelegenheiten, das politische Bekenntnis der G20-Staaten zum Schutz der Menschenrechte innerhalb der globalen Lieferketten zu untermauern. Wir [Human...
So. Africa: NGO lodges urgent court application on safeguarding of social grants beneficiaries; says Cash Paymaster Services has previously exploited the system & beneficiaries
The Black Sash Trust, represented by the Centre for Applied Legal Studies (CALS) lodged an urgent application with the Constitutional Court, asking the court to, among other things, have oversight of a new agreement between South African Social...