South Sudan became independent of Sudan on 9 July 2011. For all materials about this territory before its independence, please see our section on Sudan.
Related stories and components
Salespeople for AREA, IPS and Semptian filmed saying they would sell spyware to agents who they knew might sell it onward to repressive govts. in Syria, Iran & South Sudan
Author: Al Jazeera Investigative Unit
Exclusive: Spyware firms in breach of global sanctions, 10 April 2017 ...
- Related companies: Area
Prosecution of Lundin Petroleum board members in Sweden over alleged complicity in human rights abuses in Sudan may start early 2018
Author: Lisa Röstlund, Aftonbladet (Sweden)
"Lundin röstar om miljardersättning till Sudan", 4 May 2017...
- Related stories: Swedish prosecutors to question Lundin Petroleum's CEO for company's possible complicity in South-Sudan war crimes; company denies allegations
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Lundin Petroleum
Author: Swedwatch, Fair Finance Guide
This report focuses on the risks and responsibilities associated with investments in companies that are active in countries with ongoing violent conflicts and humanitarian crises... Using the terminology of the UNGPs, a company that has a business...
Corporate Legal Accountability Annual Briefing - Corporate impunity is common & remedy for victims is rare
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
This year’s Annual Briefing highlights the rising impunity of companies’ involvement in human rights abuse...Unscrupulous companies are increasingly targeting activists, using the justice system to hold them accountable, with repression and lawsuits. ...
- Related stories: New briefing on legal accountability: Corporate impunity is common & remedy for victims is rare
- Related in-depth areas: Corporate Legal Accountability Annual Briefings Latest Legal News
- Related companies: adidas Arcelor Mittal Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore) Chiquita ConocoPhillips DJ Houghton Dow Chemical Drummond Eternit (Switzerland) ExxonMobil Ford Kappes, Cassiday & Associates KiK Lafarge (part of LafargeHolcim) LafargeHolcim Lahmeyer Mineral Commodities (MRC) Natural Fruit Nestlé Nevsun RWE Shell Socfin Tiffany Titan Cement Trafigura Beheer Union Carbide (part of Dow) Villaggio Mall Vinci
East Africa: Activists say Africa Gold Refinery could fuel conflict in mineral-rich areas; company denies allegations
Author: Elias Biryabarema, in Reuters
"Ugandan gold refinery to import from conflict-ridden South Sudan, Congo"...
Author: The Enough Project
“How the World’s Newest Country Went Awry: South Sudan’s War Genocide and Potential Famine”...
Author: South Sudan News Agency Group
"New Report Identifies Causes of South Sudan’s Famine and Potential Genocide"...
A new report by The Enough Project gives a historical review of corruption and conflict in the territory currently known as South Sudan. It says control over oil has always been at the center of the conflict.
Africa: How the Great Lakes region mineral certification seeks to deter child labour in mines & trade in conflict minerals
Author: Oil in Uganda
"Uganda To Commence UCGLR Mineral Certification"...
Over 1000 human rights defenders killed or harassed in 2016 – new report urges advocates to engage companies more effectively
Author: Front Line Defenders
"Annual Report on Human Rights Defenders at Risk in 2016", 3 Jan 2017...