SOMO is recruiting a researcher to be part of our programme on mining, energy and conflict areas. In collaboration with colleagues and international partners, the researcher will conduct and coordinate research on the social and environmental impacts and the role of multinational corporations in large-scale energy, mining and infrastructure projects – including dams in the Amazon, coal mines and palm oil plantations in Colombia, and oil and gas operations.
- Conduct research on multinational corporations and their supply chains in relation to corporate social responsibility and accountability;
- Collaborate with other members of SOMO’s mining, energy and conflict areas programme team;
- Engage in activities related to research results, such as civil society debate, complaints, advocacy and campaigns;
- Initiate new projects, negotiate with clients, and present results verbally and in writing;
- Develop and improve quantitative and qualitative research methods;
- Conduct research using databases;
- Collaborate with international partner organisations;
- Manage and coordinate projects.
- Relevant academic degree;
- At least 5 years work experience in international research and knowledge of international research methodologies;
- Research experience related to mining, energy and/or conflict areas (experience with research in Colombia is a plus);
- Experience with project management and result-oriented work;
- Experience with managing a small team;
- Demonstrable affinity to the mission of SOMO and international NGO networks;
- Knowledge of international regulation and normative frameworks for multinational corporations;
- Excellent English and Spanish, basic Dutch; Portuguese and/or French is a plus;
- Good communication skills (written and verbal);
- Strong analytical skills;
- Innovative and creative approach to research and the presentation of information.
- A challenging position working with an extensive national and international network;
- An informal work environment with the opportunity to develop and pursue your own initiatives;
- A 12-month contract with possibility of extension;
- Salary between € 3,001 en € 3,538 gross per month on a full-time basis (40 hours/week), depending on relevant work experience.
Email your letter of interest and CV, along with an English-language article or report that you have written, to Esther de Haan ([email protected]). Applications must be received by 29-07-2016. We are aware that potential applicants may have questions about the vacancy and the selection process. However, due to the significant number of expected applicants we regret we cannot answer all questions.