Researcher for Iran Business Responsibility (IBR) project
Iran Business Responsibility
- Location: Flexible
- Closing Date: 15/02/2018
Launched in 2016, the Iran Business Responsibility project is a nonpartisan and nonprofit initiative working to encourage and guide companies to adhere to responsible business standards when doing business in Iran. Through an online platform that provides a broad array of informational resources, and direct, collaborative engagement with companies, governments and other stakeholders, IBR helps firms avoid negative impacts on people and the environment from their business activities.
IBR is seeking a consultant to carry out rigorous, detailed, in-depth research to support IBR publications and engagement work for 6 months, with extension possible to end of 2018.
- Carry out rigorous, detailed, in-depth research assignments on a broad range of business, investment, economic, regulatory, environmental, labour, workplace and political issues that are relevant to doing responsible business in Iran.
- Find reliable and relevant information and data, identify and extract key findings that are substantiated by solid and sourced research, and communicate these findings clearly and concisely, in verbal and in written briefs, directly to IBR Research Director.
- Highly experienced researcher (minimum of 5 years of experience), well versed in detailed, in-depth, carefully culled research from publicly available sources, including academic papers, professional and scholarly journals, government sources, NGO reports, UN and multilateral organizations, news sources, company info, and other sources of information.
- Full reading, writing and speaking fluency in English required.
- Demonstrated ability to carefully review material and exercise excellent judgment in assessing the reliability of sources and the usefulness/relevance of findings.
- Demonstrated ability to perform extensive, rigorous and persistent searches through large amounts of material on issues in which it is difficult to find reliable and unbiased information.
- Ability to extract reliable, relevant and useful information and findings from large amounts of material and produce concise, sourced, written and verbal briefings, with supporting data and material as needed, on research findings.
- Meticulous attention to detail, corroborating data whenever possible and tagging/resolving inconsistencies or gaps in the data, so that findings presented are of the highest calibre.
- Database research experience an asset.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a close-knit and high-performance team.
- Ability to work quickly and under pressure, to deadline. This may include evening hours, especially if candidate is not based in NY to accommodate time differences, and, on occasion, weekend hours.
- Knowledge of business and economic concepts, data and sources required.
- Iran experience highly preferred.
- Knowledge of responsible business issues and relevant international standards preferred.
- Minimum of master degree; higher degree or progress toward desirable.
Terms of consultancy:
The Researcher will report directly to the IBR Deputy Director/Head of Research. This consultancy will require approximately 20 hours/week. Additional hours may be considered based on performance and organisational need. The consultancy is through 1 June 2018, with extension to the end of December 2018 possible. Competitive remuneration.
How to apply:
Send resume and short cover letter to Karen Kramer at [email protected] by 15 February 2018.