Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in United Kingdom
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
On 17 July 2017, three local governments in California (San Mateo County, Marin County, and the City of Imperial Beach) filed a lawsuit against 37 fossil fuel companies including BP, Chevron, ExxonMobil, Peabody Energy, Shell and Statoil....
USA: 3 Californian communities sue 37 “carbon majors” seeking compensation for costs of adapting to sea level rises linked to climate change
New laws & public opinion can help fight modern slavery, but companies should be more proactive in self-reporting
Author: Lindsay Fortado, Financial Times (UK)
Forced labour was once a niche human rights matter for large companies but it has moved to the forefront of corporate concerns with the introduction of the UK's Modern Slavery Act. ... While the law is often criticised for lacking teeth... it has...
Author: Gareth Hutchens, The Guardian (UK)
Bill Shorten has promised to introduce legislation to prevent slave labour being used in the global supply chains of Australian businesses if Labor wins the next election. Labor would require Australia's biggest companies to produce annual reports on...
- Related in-depth areas: Inquiry into the establishment of a Modern Slavery Act in Australia
- Related companies: adidas Nestlé Rio Tinto
“Excluyen a Petrochina del Fondo de Pensiones de Noruega por riesgos de corrupción” – 26 de mayo de 2016...
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas
- Related companies: Bharat Electrical China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) Daewoo Group Duke Energy Eni Finmeccanica Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM) Norilsk Nickel PetroChina (part of China National Petroleum Corporation) Posco Rio Tinto Saipem (part of Eni) Volcán, Compañía Minera
UK: Home Office denies visa to Malagasy farmer intending to attend Rio Tinto's AGM & raise allegations of environmental damage
Author: Rebecca Ratcliffe, The Guardian (UK)
A Malagasy farmer who says he and his neighbours have lost access to their land because of the UK mining company Rio Tinto has been blocked from visiting London, where he had been due to address the firm’s annual general meeting. Athanase Monja…was...
- Related companies: Rio Tinto
Indonesia: Protesters demand for nationalisation of Freeport-McMoran Grasberg mine; operations down to 40% capacity
Author: Jon Emont, New York Times
"Foreigners Have Long Mined Indonesia, but Now There's an Outcry", 31 March 2017...