Logging & lumber
Related stories and components
Author: Comissão Pastoral da Terra (Brazil)
"Organização internacional divulga relatório em que aponta que o Brasil é o país mais perigoso para lutar por direitos e pelo meio ambiente", 13 de julho de 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights defenders Últimas notícias sobre defensores/as de direitos humanos
Russia: State-controlled traffic of North Korean workers amounts to slave trade, say human rights groups
Author: Andrew Higgins, The New York Times
"North Koreans in Russia work ‘basically in the situation of slaves’", 11 July 2017...
Weyerhaeuser is no longer a member of The Industrial Energy Consumers of America and as such, was not involved with this letter. We are proud of our company's commitment to sustainability.
- Related stories: Members of US business org. IECA disagree with its stance against Paris Agreement
- This is a response from the following companies: Weyerhaeuser
Author: Global Witness (United Kingdom)
In 2016, at least 200 land and environmental defenders were murdered – the deadliest year on record. Not only is this trend growing, it’s spreading – killings were dispersed across 24 countries, compared to 16 in 2015. With many killings unreported,...
- Related stories: New Global Witness report finds govts., businesses & investors are fueling violence against defenders, 200 of whom were killed in 2016
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
- Related companies: Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Axis Bank BHP Billiton BNDES Coal India (CIL) Energy Transfer Partners Finnfund FMO Glencore Jindal Los Encinos San Miguel Corporation SOCO International South Eastern Coalfields Limited (part of Coal India Limited) Vedanta Resources Yes Bank
Author: Jonathan Watts & John Vidal, The Guardian (United Kingdom)
Last year was the most perilous ever for people defending their community’s land, natural resources or wildlife, with new research showing that environmental defenders are being killed at the rate of almost four a week across the world. Two hundred...
On May 24, 2017, the country's second largest slaughter related to land conflicts for 20 years occurred in the state of Pará, according to Darcy Frigo, President of the National Council of Human Rights and coordinator of Terra de Direitos, a leading...
Guatemala: NGOs denounce threats against defender Lolita Chavez & Ki´che´ Council opposing to illegal logging