Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Netherlands
Corporate Legal Accountability Annual Briefing - Corporate impunity is common & remedy for victims is rare
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
This year’s Annual Briefing highlights the rising impunity of companies’ involvement in human rights abuse...Unscrupulous companies are increasingly targeting activists, using the justice system to hold them accountable, with repression and lawsuits. ...
- Related stories: New briefing on legal accountability: Corporate impunity is common & remedy for victims is rare
- Related in-depth areas: Corporate Legal Accountability Annual Briefings Latest Legal News
- Related companies: adidas Arcelor Mittal Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore) Chiquita ConocoPhillips DJ Houghton Dow Chemical Drummond Eternit (Switzerland) ExxonMobil Ford Kappes, Cassiday & Associates KiK Lafarge (part of LafargeHolcim) LafargeHolcim Lahmeyer Mineral Commodities (MRC) Natural Fruit Nestlé Nevsun RWE Shell Socfin Tiffany Titan Cement Trafigura Beheer Union Carbide (part of Dow) Villaggio Mall Vinci
New Report by Global Witness & Finance Uncovered says Shell and Eni were involved in a corrupt oil deal which deprived the Nigerian people of more than $1.1 billion
A new report by Global Witness and Finance Uncovered reveals how Shell and Eni allegedly participated in a vast bribery scheme for one of Africa’s most valuable oil blocks, known as OPL 245 in Nigeria. Top executives at Shell allegedly knew that money...
Nigeria: NGO says 10 months after govt.'s launch of Shell oil spills clean up in Ogoniland, "not a drop of oil cleaned"
Author: Ben Ezeamalu, Premium Times (Nigeria)
"10 months after Nigerian govt’s launch of Ogoni clean-up, ‘not a drop of oil cleaned’ – Group", 5 April 2017...
- Related companies: Shell
Author: Latin Post (USA)
"Shell Company To Start Clean-Up Operation For 2008 Nigerian Oil Spill", 27 March 2017...
- Related companies: Shell
Recent & future trends in access to remedy for corporate abuse – new briefing by Clifford Chance & Global Business Initiative
Author: Clifford Chance & Global Business Initiative on Human Rights
"Access to Remedy: The Next Frontier?", 16 March 2017...
Revelation of Shell's 1991 film "Climate of Concern" prompts criticisms about company's steps to block climate action despite knowledge of its consequences
The Correspondent, a Dutch online journalism platform, along with the Guardian has shared a1991 film by Shell entitled “Climate of Concern” which issues a serious warning on climate change. “Climate, says the film [is now changing] at a rate faster...
“Our position on climate change is well known; recognizing the climate challenge and the role energy has in enabling a decent quality of life. Shell continues to call for effective policy to support lower carbon business and consumer choices and...
- Related stories: Revelation of Shell's 1991 film "Climate of Concern" prompts criticisms about company's steps to block climate action despite knowledge of its consequences
- This is a response from the following companies: Shell
Commentary: Intl. criminal court style mechanism necessary for holding companies accountable for human rights abuses, say academics
Author: Kamil Omoteso, Coventry University, & Hakeem Yusuf, University of Birmingham in Critical perspectives on international business
"Accountability of transnational corporations in the developing world: The case for an enforceable international mechanism", 2017...