Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Switzerland
UN Independent Expert asks Thun Group of Banks to discuss the Guiding Principles on Foreign Debt and Human Rights & practice of lending to states with widespread human rights violations
Author: Juan Pablo Bohoslavsky, UN Independent Expert on the effects of foreign debt and other related international financial obligations of States
“Mandate of the Independent Expert on the effects of foreign debt and other related international financial obligations of States on the full enjoyment of all human rights, particularly economic, social and cultural rights” - 19 October 2017...
- Related stories: Thun Group of Banks releases new Paper on implications of UN Guiding Principles for corporate & investment banking
- Related companies: Credit Suisse UBS
Author: Gerrit Hansen (Germanwatch)
"Verkehrte grüne Finanzwelt", Juli 2017...
- Related stories: G20 Erklärung der Staats- und Regierungschefs bekennt sich trotz US-Rückzug zum Pariser Klimaabkommen; jetzt muss Umsetzung folgen
- Related companies: Barclays PepsiCo Santander Tata Group Tata Iron and Steel (TISCO) (part of Tata Group) Tata Steel (see Tata Iron and Steel) UBS Unilever
Author: Fiona Harvey, The Guardian (UK)
Some of the world's top banks are continuing to lend tens of billions for extracting the most carbon-intensive fossil fuels, according to a report of top lenders [by Rainforest Action Network, Banktrack, Sierra Club, Oilchange International.]...The...
- Related in-depth areas: Mitigation
- Related companies: Agricultural Bank of China ANZ Bank Bank of America Bank of China Bank of Montreal Bank of Nova Scotia Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (part of Mitsubishi UFJ) Barclays BNP Paribas Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) China Construction Bank Citigroup Commonwealth Bank Crédit Agricole Credit Suisse Deutsche Bank Goldman Sachs HSBC Industrial & Commercial Bank of China ING Bank JPMorgan Chase Mizuho Financial Group Morgan Stanley National Australia Bank Natixis PNC Financial Services Royal Bank of Canada Royal Bank of Scotland Santander SMBC Nikko Securities Société Générale Standard Chartered Toronto-Dominion Bank UBS UniCredit Bulbank Wells Fargo Westpac
Banks loan billions to oil firms allegedly exporting low-grade fuel high in pollutants, says briefing
A new BankTrack briefing raises questions about how banks are conducting human rights due diligence. In response to research by Swiss NGO Public Eye accusing Switzerland-based oil trading companies of selling blends of low-grade fuel high in...
Author: Brenna Hughes Neghaiwi, Reuters (UK)
"Swiss firms set goals to get more women into top roles", 8 Mar 2017...
Author: Mathilde Farine, Le Temps (Suisse)
La patronne suisse d’IKEA, Simona Scarpaleggia, s’était fixé l’objectif d’attendre la parité dans les postes de direction…[Le groupe Ikea] s’est aussi fixé l’objectif d’atteindre 50% de cadres féminins, de même que l’égalité salariale d’ici 2020…...
Author: [opinion] Isabel Munilla, senior policy advisor for extractive industries - Oxfam America, in The Hill (USA)
...[You] might find it perplexing that scrapping an anti-corruption law is at the top of the congressional to-do list in Washington. But Congress will seek to do just that this week by voting to roll back rules to implement the landmark bipartisan...
- Related stories: Publish What You Pay urges oil, gas & mining firms to support US law on disclosure of payments to govts. - statements of support by 12 firms US Congress undoes Dodd-Frank regulations on extractive industry revenue transparency
- Related companies: BHP Billiton BNP Paribas BP Chevron ExxonMobil Gazprom Glencore ING Kosmos Energy Rio Tinto Rosneft Shell UBS
Thun Group of Banks releases new Paper on implications of UN Guiding Principles for corporate & investment banking
The Thun Group of Banks' Discussion Paper published in January 2017 explores how the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights should be applied in the banking sector. At the Thun Group of Banks' annual meeting in June 2017, the Thun Group...
European Court of Human Rights rejects UBS’ claim that French bond in tax fraud case violated bank’s right to presumption of innocence
"Europe court upholds French bond for UBS in tax fraud case", 12 Jan 2017...