("Access to Judicial Remedy," UN Forum on Business & Human Rights, UN WebTV Dec 2012)
Tools & guidance
Holding UK companies to account in the English courts for harming people in other countries, CORE & London Mining Network, Aug 2016
OHCHR Accountability and Remedy Project, Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Feb 2015
Injustice Incorporated: Corporate Abuses and the Human Right to Remedy, Amnesty Intl., Mar 2014
OHCHR launches study on domestic law remedies for corporate involvement in gross human rights abuses – invites stakeholder submissions,Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, 28 Feb 2014
The Third Pillar: Access to Judicial Remedies for Human Rights Violations by Transnational Business, Gwynne Skinner, Robert McCorquodale, Olivier De Schutter & Andie Lambe, 2 Dec 2013
Guidance for lawyers on corporate legal accountability issues, compiled by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
For profiles of lawsuits in which companies are accused of human rights abuses and expert commentaries on legal accountability -- visit our Legal Accountability Portal. For further reports & articles, see the Resource Centre’s general section on Lawsuits & regulatory action.
For further tools & guidance, see the Resource Centre’s Tools & Guidance Portal
Related stories and components
Video of Michael Addo, Chair of UN Working Group, discussing role of body in enhancing access to remedy
Author: Michael Addo, Chair of UN Working Group on business & human rights
"Session 3: Barriers to Justice & Recommendations for Change- Part 3: Michael Addo, Chair, UN Working Group on Business and Human Rights: The Role of the Working Group in Enhancing Access to Remedy", 19 Aug 2014
Business, Human Rights, and Uganda’s Oil - Part II: Protect and Remedy: Implementing State duties under the UN Framework on Business and Human Rights
Author: Gabriella Wass & Chris Musiime, IPIS & ActionAid Uganda
In accordance with the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, this second report assesses the duty of the Ugandan, British, French and Chinese States to prevent, investigate, punish and redress human rights abuse by businesses. Based on...
- Related stories: Report on implementing State duties under the UN Framework on Business & Human Rights for Uganda's oil industry
- Related in-depth areas: African region Chinese investment overseas Civil society recommendations to governments Extractives, including oil and mines General Judicial remedies Labour issues Land Rights & Displacements Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace Latest news on UNGPs Latest news on UNWG Oil & gas Providing guidance to companies State-based
- Related companies: CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Kaweri (part of Neumann Gruppe) Neumann Gruppe Statoil Tullow Oil
[PDF] The Third Pillar: Access to Judicial Remedies for Human Rights Violations by Transnational Business
Author: Gwynne Skinner, Robert McCorquodale, Olivier De Schutter & Andie Lambe
The Access to Judicial Remedy (A2JR) Project set out to identify and analyze the barriers in the United States, Canada, and Europe…The detailed mapping exercise undertaken in the development of this Report shows that States are generally not...
- Related stories: Abu Ghraib lawsuits against CACI, Titan (now L-3) Amesys lawsuit (re Libya) Anvil Mining lawsuit (re Dem. Rep. of Congo) Cambior lawsuit (re Guyana) Cape/Gencor lawsuits (re So. Africa) Chiquita lawsuits (re Colombia) Daimler lawsuit (re Argentina) DLH lawsuit (re Liberian civil war) Drummond lawsuits (re Colombia) ExxonMobil lawsuit (re Aceh) Hudbay Minerals lawsuits (re Guatemala) Monterrico Metals lawsuit (re Peru) Report analyses barriers to access judicial remedy for victims of human rights abuses by companies & makes recommendations Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Talisman lawsuit (re Sudan) Texaco/Chevron lawsuits (re Ecuador) The Third Pillar: Access to Judicial Remedies for Human Rights Violations by Transnational Business Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Veolia & Alstom lawsuit (re Jerusalem rail project) Walmart lawsuit (re gender discrimination in USA) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Judicial remedies Latest Legal News Latest news on UNGPs Reports & materials launched Speeches & presentations
- Related companies: Alstom Amesys (part of Bull) Anvil Mining (part of China Minmetals) Barrick Gold Bull Cambior Cape PLC Chevron Chiquita Daimler DLH (Dalhoff Larsen & Horneman) Drummond ExxonMobil Hudbay Minerals Monterrico Metals (part of Zijin) Shell Talisman Texaco (part of Chevron) Thor Chemicals Unocal (part of Chevron) Veolia Environnement (formerly Vivendi) Veolia Transport (part of Veolia Environnement) Walmart Zijin
[PDF] Access to Judicial Remedy: Ensuring Redress for Victims of Corporate Related Human Rights Abuses
Author: International Corporate Accountability Roundtable, European Coalition for Corporate Justice, Corporate Responsibility Coalition
As corporations have gained increasing power and rights in the global marketplace, they have also been immunized from responsibilities and accountability. Nowhere is this more damaging than in the judicial system where threats to mechanisms that...
Author: UN News Centre
Addressing the largest global forum to date on the impact of global business on human rights, [UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay] today called on delegates to focus on a potential need for heightened legal standards when it comes to...
[PDF] Opening Address: United Nations Forum on Business & Human Rights, Geneva Switzerland - John G. Ruggie - 4 December 2012
Author: John Ruggie, Former UN Special Representative on business & human rights
I am honored to have been asked to deliver the opening address and to chair this inaugural United Nations Forum on Business and Human Rights. And what an extraordinary gathering it is, in size and diversity—with nearly 1,000 participants from 85...
- Related stories: Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa)
- Related in-depth areas: Complicity Judicial remedies Videos & text of presentations & discussions - UN Forum on Business and Human Rights 2012
Author: Amol Mehra & Katie Shay, Intl. Corporate Accountability Roundtable, on Forbes CSR blog
[T]he U.S. Supreme Court considered a case that strikes at the core of corporate social responsibility, Kiobel v. Royal Dutch Petroleum (Shell)...If Shell’s arguments win, the Supreme Court will effectively cut off what is often the best available...
CAMBODIA: LRWC [Lawyers Rights Watch Canada] and ALRC [Asian Legal Resource Centre] denounce attacks against HRDs [human rights defenders] and problems with judicial independence
Author: Lawyers Rights Watch Canada, Asian Legal Resource Centre
Lawyers Rights Watch Canada and welcomes the report of the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Cambodia...Cambodian human rights defenders and journalists regularly experience judicial harassment and violence for upholding human...
Author: Professor John Ruggie, Harvard Univ., former UN Special Representative on business & human rights
On October 1, 2012, the United States Supreme Court will rehear arguments in a landmark case...Kiobel v. Royal Dutch Petroleum...brought by Nigerian plaintiffs against Shell...alleging that the company aided and abetted the Nigerian military...
- Related stories: Apartheid reparations lawsuits (re So. Africa) ExxonMobil lawsuit (re Aceh) John Ruggie asks whether Shell, in its arguments in Kiobel lawsuit in USA re alleged abuses in Nigeria, should "aim to destroy an entire edifice for redressing gross violations" Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Talisman lawsuit (re Sudan) Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Judicial remedies Latest Legal News UN Secretary-General's Special Representative on business & human rights
- Related companies: Chevron ExxonMobil Shell Talisman Total Unocal (part of Chevron)
[PDF] Resolution No 2/2012: Sofia Guidelines on best practices for intl. civil litigation for human rights violations
Author: Intl. Law Association
Recognising that civil litigation for human rights violations against corporations and individuals occurs increasingly in jurisdictions around the world...Hereby states the following Guidelines on best practices...Scope...International Jurisdiction.....
- Related stories: Report on "Intl. civil litigation for human rights violations"
- Related in-depth areas: Judicial remedies Latest Legal News