UN Human Rights Council
On 15 March 2006 the UN General Assembly voted to replace the UN Commission on Human Rights with the UN Human Rights Council
Related stories and components
Author: University of Notre Dame London Gateway (event co-organised by Univ. of Notre Dame, Business & Human Rights Resource Centre, British Institute of Intl. and Comparative Law, & Univ. of Essex)
"Expert round table on elements of a possible binding international instrument on business and human rights - Summary report", 11 Jul 2017...
Paraguay: UN Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of slavery will visit and investigate child and forced labour
Author: Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
“UN expert on contemporary forms of slavery announces first official visit to Paraguay” -14 July...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on freedom of association
Author: UN Human Rights Council
"Business and human rights: Mandate of the Working Group on the issue of human rights and transnational corporations and other business enterprises", 19 June 2017...
John Ruggie analyses power of multinational firms - aims to bridge gap between voluntary & binding approaches
Author: John Ruggie, Harvard University, Regulation & Governance (Australia)
"Multinationals as global institution: Power, authority and relative autonomy", 27 June 2017...
- Related companies: Alphabet Apple British American Tobacco Coca-Cola ExxonMobil General Electric Google (part of Alphabet) Microsoft Novartis Occidental Petroleum Philip Morris International Reynolds American RJ Reynolds (part of Reynolds American) Shell Sinopec Starbucks Statoil Total Toyota Unilever Walt Disney
Author: Nadia Bernaz, Wageningen University & Irene Pietropaoli, on Oxford Journal of Human Rights Practice
"The Role of Non-Governmental Organizations in the Business and Human Rights Treaty Negotiations", 26 Jun 2017...
UN Working Group on business & human rights presents reports & activity update to Human Rights Council
Author: UN Working Group on business & human rights
"Statement by the Working Group Chairperson to the 35th session of the Human Rights Council"...
Peru: Civil Society submits report to the UN Human Rights Council about extraterritorial obligations of Chinese companies
“The Peruvian State breaches its duty to protect the human rights of individuals and communities negatively impacted by Chinese mining investments in Peru”...
- Related stories: Peru: Chinese aluminum producer Chinalco facing local criticism about lack of consultation & resettlement
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas Latest Legal News Latest news on natural resources
- Related companies: China Minmetals Chinalco (Aluminum Corporation of China) Las Bambas (part of MMG) Minerals and Metals Group (MMG) (part of China Minmetals) Rio Blanco Copper (part of Xiamen Zijin Tongguan Investment Development Corporation, part of Zijin Mining Group, Tongling Non-Ferrous Metals Group Holding Co. Ltd. y Xiamen C&D Coperation Ltd.) Shougang Zijin
Author: Kumar Shailabh, Huffington Post
On 4 May, during India's Universal Periodic Review (UPR) at the UN Human Rights Council, Bulgaria recommended to the government to introduce a child-rights-based approach in all its policies. This was a welcome move that turned the focus to child...