UN Human Rights Council
On 15 March 2006 the UN General Assembly voted to replace the UN Commission on Human Rights with the UN Human Rights Council
Related stories and components
John Ruggie analyses power of multinational firms - aims to bridge gap between voluntary & binding approaches
Author: John Gerard Ruggie, Regulation & Governance
"Multinationals as global institution: Power, authority and relative autonomy", 27 June 2017...
- Related companies: Alphabet Apple British American Tobacco Coca-Cola ExxonMobil GE (see General Electric) Google (part of Alphabet) Microsoft Novartis Occidental Petroleum Philip Morris International Reynolds American RJ Reynolds (part of Reynolds American) Shell Sinopec Starbucks Statoil Total Toyota Unilever Walt Disney
Author: Nadia Bernaz, Wageningen University & Irene Pietropaoli, on Oxford Journal of Human Rights Practice
"The Role of Non-Governmental Organizations in the Business and Human Rights Treaty Negotiations", 26 Jun 2017...
UN Working Group on business & human rights presents reports & activity update to Human Rights Council
Author: UN Working Group on business & human rights
"Statement by the Working Group Chairperson to the 35th session of the Human Rights Council"...
Peru: Civil Society submits report to the UN Human Rights Council about extraterritorial obligations of Chinese companies
“The Peruvian State breaches its duty to protect the human rights of individuals and communities negatively impacted by Chinese mining investments in Peru”...
- Related stories: Peru: Chinese aluminum producer Chinalco facing local criticism about lack of consultation & resettlement
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas Latest Legal News Latest news on natural resources
- Related companies: China Minmetals Chinalco (Aluminum Corporation of China) Las Bambas (part of MMG) Minerals and Metals Group (MMG) (part of China Minmetals) Rio Blanco Copper (part of Xiamen Zijin Tongguan Investment Development Corporation, part of Zijin Mining Group, Tongling Non-Ferrous Metals Group Holding Co. Ltd. y Xiamen C&D Coperation Ltd.) Shougang Zijin
Author: Kumar Shailabh, Huffington Post
On 4 May, during India's Universal Periodic Review (UPR) at the UN Human Rights Council, Bulgaria recommended to the government to introduce a child-rights-based approach in all its policies. This was a welcome move that turned the focus to child...
“Los Derechos Humanos en las políticas de comercio e inversión: el potencial de un tratado de la ONU sobre las empresas transnacionales y otras empresa. Recomendaciones de CIDSE – abril 2017...
Human Rights Council renews mandate of Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders; affirms defenders must be protected by state & non-state actors
Author: Michael Ineichen, International Service for Human Rights
"HRC34 | Council unites to stand with human rights defenders", 23 Mar 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders