Unocal (part of Chevron)
Unocal website: www.unocal.com
Unocal was acquired by Chevron in 2005; the merger was completed on 10 August 2005.
Commentary: The Legal Case Map, a key resource for firms' human rights & modern slavery risk management
Author: Kristina Novak, Liberty Asia
"Innovative Tech Tools Changing Modern Slavery Risk Perception", 13 Apr 2017...
Author: Nadia Bernaz, Middlesex University School of Law on RightsasUsual
"The Developing Notion of Corporate Criminal Liability under International Law: a presentation at Copenhagen Business School", 24 May 2016...
UN Forum Series Blog: Rhetoric of corporate responsibility is not enough: Corporations must walk the walk, not just talk the talk
Author: Katie Redford, EarthRights International
Fundamentally, most corporate managers still believe that human rights compliance is – and should be – strictly voluntary: something to take into account after they’ve made their quarterly earnings projections and have time and money left over for...
- Related stories: Blog series on measuring implementation of UN Guiding Principles on business & human rights
- Related companies: Chevron Shell Unocal (part of Chevron)
“I want to see a world without deliberate and unnecessary exploitation by multinational companies”, says lawyer Terry Collingsworth
Author: Joe Sandler Clarke, Guardian (UK)
"Terry Collingsworth: the globe-trotting human rights lawyer taking on Nestlé and ExxonMobil", 2 Sep 2015...
Author: Stéfanie Khoury & David Whyte, Univ. of Liverpool
"New Mechanisms of Accountability for Corporate Violations of Human Rights", 3 Mar 2015...
Author: Bill O'Toole, Myanmar Times
“The rise of private security”, 5 January 2015...
Standard behind US Court dismissal of Alien Tort case against Occidental & AirScan “sufficiently vague for corporations to hide behind”, says journalist
Author: Siddhartha Mahanta, Foreign Policy (USA)
"Suing companies for atrocities has never been harder. Thanks, Supreme Court!", 18 Nov 2014 [Subscription required]...
- Related stories: Cisco Systems lawsuits (re China) Occidental lawsuit (re Colombia) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) US court dismisses Alien Tort case against Occidental & AirScan over alleged complicity in Colombian bombing Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: AirScan Chevron Cisco Systems ExxonMobil Occidental Petroleum Shell Unocal (part of Chevron)
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
A group of Myanmar residents filed a lawsuit against Unocal in US federal court in 1996. The plaintiffs alleged they had suffered human rights abuses such as forced labour, murder, rape and torture at the hands of the Myanmar military during...
[PDF] The Third Pillar: Access to Judicial Remedies for Human Rights Violations by Transnational Business
Author: Gwynne Skinner, Robert McCorquodale, Olivier De Schutter & Andie Lambe
The Access to Judicial Remedy (A2JR) Project set out to identify and analyze the barriers in the United States, Canada, and Europe…The detailed mapping exercise undertaken in the development of this Report shows that States are generally not...
- Related stories: Abu Ghraib lawsuits against CACI, Titan (now L-3) Amesys lawsuit (re Libya) Anvil Mining lawsuit (re Dem. Rep. of Congo) Cambior lawsuit (re Guyana) Cape/Gencor lawsuits (re So. Africa) Chiquita lawsuits (re Colombia) Daimler lawsuit (re Argentina) DLH lawsuit (re Liberian civil war) Drummond lawsuits (re Colombia) ExxonMobil lawsuit (re Aceh) Hudbay Minerals lawsuits (re Guatemala) Monterrico Metals lawsuit (re Peru) Report analyses barriers to access judicial remedy for victims of human rights abuses by companies & makes recommendations Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Talisman lawsuit (re Sudan) Texaco/Chevron lawsuits (re Ecuador) The Third Pillar: Access to Judicial Remedies for Human Rights Violations by Transnational Business Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Veolia & Alstom lawsuit (re Jerusalem rail project) Walmart lawsuit (re gender discrimination in USA) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Judicial remedies Latest Legal News Latest news on UNGPs Reports & materials launched Speeches & presentations
- Related companies: Alstom Amesys (part of Bull) Anvil Mining (part of China Minmetals) Barrick Gold Bull Cambior Cape PLC Chevron Chiquita Daimler DLH (Dalhoff Larsen & Horneman) Drummond ExxonMobil Hudbay Minerals Monterrico Metals (part of Zijin) Shell Talisman Texaco (part of Chevron) Thor Chemicals Unocal (part of Chevron) Veolia Environnement (formerly Vivendi) Veolia Transport (part of Veolia Environnement) Walmart Zijin